Computer will once in a great while just completely freeze, whats goin on?

So, im not sure where this best belongs, im thinking hardware because its probably a hardware issue.

So once in a great while my pc will just completely freeze. My mouse disappears and nothing can be done other than to shutoff then turn on the pc.

I leave my computer on 24/7 and have come back to it on rare occasions to find its completely frozen, nothing moves on screen, it just shows the last thing that was visible before it froze.

Only twice has it actually frozen on me while I was using the PC. I would be watching something on youtube while browsing on the second monitor only for everything to just stop in its tracks forcing me to turn it off then on again.

Anyone have an idea of what might be going on?

Im using:
Windows 10
i7 3770k @ 3.5Ghz
Asus p8 Z77-V LK Motherboard
2x EVGA 780Ti Classifieds in SLI
16GB Of Corsair Vengeance Pro Ram @1886Mhz

It's old.

Probably blame the PSU or hard drive

Using a 480GB SSD for main storage, a 480GB SSD for games, and 2x 2TB SSHDs for everything else. The SSDs I got black friday 2015.

The PSU is a 750w Rosewill Hive 80+ Bronze which I got when I went to SLI

Yeah, 80+ bronze for OC CPU + two 780TIs with factory overclocks... that might be it.

CPU isnt overclocked. Stock speed is 3.5Ghz which mine is.

Still, two classifieds draw a shitload of power.

Then ya possibly replace that if money isn't too big an issue, just in general to have a better PSU

Try using only 1 GPU to see if it still happens, if so it might not be the PSU since you removed some load from it

Or try running an extended stress test to see if the PSU survives, potentially dangerous though

go for the EVGA GQ 750W here, only $95 pretty solid PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438060&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

There's also an 850W for slightly more
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2BcMnQ/evga-power-supply-210gq0850

Or just replace the dual GPU set up if using only one GPU fixes it, a 480 is pretty solid for the money atm if you're betting on DX12/Vulkan taking over

Waiting for new titan to come out. Or Ill end up going 1080

please tell me you have a 4k display

also why the 3770k if you can afford a titan XP?

I was intending to upgrade the graphics card to a newer one first then get new processor/mobo at a later date.

I dont have a 4k Display but I was going to go triple 1440p or ultrawide (3440x1440)

I never said I could afford the XP now. I was thinking of saving for it though.

Nothing can drive triple 1440p gaming, and that would be outdated by 4k rather quickly, reasonable 4k displays don't cost much more than retail 1440p displays overall

3440x1440 is a different beast, the good ones are $1000 and up, and you'd need a 1080 to probably just pass 60fps high-ultra, the Titan XP is about the first GPU for solid 4k 60fps gaming

I'd probably suggest if you were to upgrade anything, you go 1440p 144hz IPS + 480, for under $1000, but that's just me, it's a pretty reasonable gaming experience and way better for the money. at that price though it's a battle of 1440p 144hz vs 4k 60hz, I'd go 144hz if your main focus is gaming

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/7NWDxY
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/7NWDxY/by_merchant/

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card ($259.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Acer XF270HU 27.0" 144Hz Monitor ($520.11 @ Amazon)
Total: $780.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-07 22:53 EDT-0400

28" 4k TN free-sync $299
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Rk98TW/aoc-monitor-u2879vf

27" IPS 4k free-sync under 500
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JhkwrH/lg-monitor-27ud68w

Kind of small for 4k though, not exactly horrible for gaming though

I think a 1440p at 144hz with 480 is waste of money and would be grossly out of balance unless the op purchased two 480's.
27 inch 4k with windows scaling...also not a good idea. Win 10 does have a freezing issue that is cropping up in forums.

480 is a high settings 60fps 1440p card ya, but once you go far past that you hit major reductions in performance per dollar, and games like Dota 2 or CS:GO will easily run at high fps where the 144hz really shines

and ya, windows can be a pain sometimes, and some game UIs won't scale too well, but once you're in the game you get a pretty nice display, I need to acquire the $300 AOC one sometime

-
-
In playing with VSR on my 24" 1080p display, it's not entirely terrible, kind of usable with some scaling, and I still get the screen space of 4k, just not very sharp at all, it's strange, I think I could live with a 27" actual 4k display though

Yes , it is mostly windows fault :) scaling text ect. The background would be awesome. Running 1440p on a Fury and 90 to 100 fps is decent. I think target single gpu for gaming at 1440p should be a little higher than the 480 . It will do it just not in what i think as optimal. I found 27inch 1440p text to be way to small ( old man eyesight ) scale it 150 percent which causes strange issues from time to time in win 10.

No idea what should you run to log usages, but think you should at least try logging everything to .txt files similar how GPU-Z does it.

Something is halting similar to dying HDD, causing CPU to panic grind 100%, then cursor freezes and if you are lucky the PC will do beep sound on click. You only need to look whats going 0% or 100%, remove the thing and see if its still freezing.

So, I went to play me some starcraft today to play the new campaign. Was playing for about an hour before I noticed about 10 or so black squares in a grid like pattern appear.

I minimized then went back and they were gone, I beat the level and during the cinematic I was seeing things flash in and out of existence.

Safe to say, 1 of my cards is failing and I have a feeling its the warranty replacement card I got after the previous one was preventing me from starting up my pc.

So I removed the possible problem card. I will run in single card for a while and if no issues then im sure I removed the bad card and will warranty it.

Might just be time to upgrade the dual 780ti set up in the end anyways man

Every time. SMH.

1: TEST THE MEMORY. Run Memtest86+ for 24 hours
2: Check your hard drives. Run CrystalDiskInfo

If the above both confirm that the memory and disks are ok, then move on to isolating other hardware.

Also, if you suspect that it is power related, you probably need a UPS to provide reliable power to the power supply.

Ya, ill warranty the card. maybe ill get lucky and they will be out of 780tis and upgrade me ;)