Computer Screen Randomly Blacking Out

For some time now my personal rig has seemingly been having some issues. At random my monitor will go black for 2 seconds at a time during its instance. I have no idea why this is happening and if it is software or hardware related and was hoping one of you would have some ideas as to what is going on.

Here is a little background on my computer that may or may not have something to do with the random black screens.
G3258 OC to 4.2 GHz
8GB Ram
Asus Z97-A Motherboard
Nvidia 960 also OC
Dell S2340M Monitor
Windows 8.1 64bit
Running the Latest GeForce drivers

I'm not the most intelligent when it comes to diagnosing problems especially when I can't control when the problem happens. Hopefully one of you can connect the dots and maybe help me find a solution to this annoyance. Just throw some possible solutions or reasons for why this is happening at me; any help is greatly appreciated.

Have you tried another screen?
If the screen has just a standard power cable that plugs into the back, the internal power supply on the monitor may have one or two failing capacitors, sometimes it's obvious which caps have swollen or leaked at the top, they can be flaky with no visible external signs. if it's an external power adapter for the screen then getting an equivalent replacement is the way to go. or you might just need a new screen. unless the fault persists with another screen then possibly video card? if your system has onboard video you can remove the video card as a next step and see if that affects the problem, if it's not a driver issue it can easily be a video card getting flaky with old age

could just be display cable issue, I've had HDMI cables do weird shit like go black and white or the display goes a strange colour, the socket can get bent a little from the weight of the cable or slide a little loose.

I don't think there is an HDMI input on that monitor. Its possible this is a software issue. Try shutting down any graphics related programs that startup automatically: anything nvidia, fps displays, screenCapture.
Disable any unused video cards.
See if you can point to one program that triggers the black-outs.

Had this exact problem with a bad DisplayPort cable. Try a new DVI cable.

In some cases interference from AC power cables can cause weird issues with digital video signals, especially if your cable is poorly shielded.

I had this problem with a HP branded LED LCD monitor. It turned out to be a fried HDMI and DVI port. I could not game on it at all. Then I discovered a temporary fix. I set the refresh rate to 50hz.

Example when I would play Skyrim and head towards Riften the monitor would black out randomly. It would get worse around green colors playing The Witcher was impossible.