Computer Science Lounge - [Too Many Idea Men Edition]

Yeh, C# needs to replace Java, the portability I dont think is required these days.

I think Linux can cover most portability.

In a world where LLVM/Clang exists, the java bytecode approach makes less and less sense.

Honestly Linux has very little to do with it.

What is the LLVM/Clang?

http://llvm.org/

Basically a project to make C/C++ more flexible, portable, cross-compileable, etc.

Would that replace g++, or gcc?

yeah, it's used in most Systems that aren't desktop linux (android, OSX, BSDs, etc)

In general compilers are pretty easy to get and to use on different operating systems. I could see the use of Java back when you needed to pay for a C compiler.

Exactly. Clang removes any remaining risk of FSF insanity or patent trolling on your crossplat/multiplat C projects though, which entirely precludes the usefulness of the JVM/JRE

1 Like

The CAD program choice is really about budget.

Mentor Graphics PADS, OrCAD, Altium, EAGLE, KiCAD, etc.

If you are looking for free I would go with KiCAD or EAGLE. Most of the open hardware projects (Arduino, hackaday projects, etc) use EAGLE. The free version is limited 2 layer board designs, but that is sufficient for most designs.

PADS, OrCAD, and Altium are going to be your industry standard packages in the $1k-10k price range.

There are tons of features in the CAD packages, other than schematics and board layout, that will be very useful. Some have built in version control to manage different revisions of schematics and board layouts. Some connect directly to distributors (Digi-Key, Arrow, Mouser) and provide part pricing, lead times, and ordering. There are design rule checks, circuit simulations (SPICE), 2D/3D models, document generation, and more.

KiCAD is free

@tkoham
I dont want to pay anything for it but do you guys know any good tutorials on KiCad?

not off the top of my head, but I'd check out the eevblog forums. there's bound to be some good info there.

A quick search pulled up this page with a listing of tutorials.
http://kicad-pcb.org/help/tutorials/

I agree with @tkoham the EEVblog is a great resource. I am subscribed to the EEVblog YouTube channel. Very informative and entertaining.

There is a good book on this called Little Book of Semaphores which you may be interested in, then. I've done some concurrent programming, and spent quite alot of time learning on the subject. Keeping in mind that no one place actually knows everything about the field (just recently I've run into conflicting definitions used for Condition Variables) so you'll need to pull from multiple resources. It's one of my more favorite subjects :)

Can confirm. I got way too vitriolic before with it, too. I have a few guesses as to why it's so toxic, but damn is it something not healthy to be in for too long.

To be fair, we're in the job of not doing the worst possible thing. And having it somewhat spirited is good for us all. We just suck at not being good people often enough that things can get a little out of hand.

1 Like

Message not clear; needs more double negatives and humblebragging

I re-read this 3 times over just to make sure I wasn't doing any of those things...then I got the joke.

1 Like

must be good they appear to be out

so how many layers of self loathing are you on right now

http://greenteapress.com/semaphores/LittleBookOfSemaphores.pdf

I found that, is there a place you think I could get this in book form/ printed. It might sound strange but I like paper books.