Computer Science Lounge - [Too Many Idea Men Edition]

Its just more out of curiosity, I think at this point its just a regional thing for what you should do for a degree. I thought your university would have like a standard flow chart like this one.

I believe it is. Probably temporal as well. Look up degrees of reputable universities and compare if you are really interested, the one I went to was indicative of education as a whole at that place and time. It's probably a standards problem as well, the first lecture was on binary because most people didn't know how to do arbitrary base mathematics. After the lecture most people were struggling with it, which I found disappointing. I learned pretty quickly that the degree I was taking was irrelevant to me.

1 Like

You seem to contradict yourself here though, so it gets confusing. You'd rather have someone good at maths and bad at C, but what you care about most is a focus on writing good code? Surely then you'd rather have the Computer Scientist. And many programming jobs don't require a mathematical education, beyond the science part of the Computer Science degree - discrete maths, perhaps some calculus for certain areas, but the applied maths they will make use of and none of the rest. Most Computer Science degrees nowadays do provide a limited focus on the mathematics required to fully understand the theory, so I wouldn't make this assumption that Maths grads are more employable. We're seeing a lot of crossover nowadays with people who study computer science branching into more mathematical areas of study (AI, Machine Learning etc.) and vice versa with many maths grads taking computer science conversion masters at universities here in the UK because they have a good foundational knowledge in mathematics, but if they can't program well enough or don't understand computer systems well enough, then they're not going to thrive in industry.

Both math and computer scientist graduates write bad code, just in different ways. However, you aren't understanding the context of the second point: I prefer low-performance readable code to high-performance unreadable code. That context was in my first post on the topic and was addressed specifically at mathematicians writing code, however, it applies to everyone.

Programming as a skill requires a strong mathematical, logical, and rational ability. You are worse at programming if you do not emphasise these skills, regardless of the job description. I don't mean understanding algebra, I mean a mathematical approach to problem-solving.

They do emphasis this type of problem solving in the school I go to for computer science so I dont think its exclusive to math majors.

In general I hate these holy wars between majors because I hear math people tell me we are not theoretical enough and software engineers saying we arnt practical enough or ect. Everybody getting on their high horse about some stupid title of a degree. I like to look at the person individually. The degree doesnt make the man the man makes the man. I think ones dedication towards improvement is more important than anything else. The current status is trivial if the person is trying to improve themselves and stay motivated. Arguing about one current state of experience or degree is pointless.

Well, I'm not here to start a holy war. As I've stated multiple times if my information is out of date I'm not trying to impose, but people keep asking me questions.

I dont think people disagree with you about the core things you said about problem solving. We just dont think its exclusive to math. Saying math is better than computer science is like if I said Emacs was better than Vim. A great holly war would begin.

I feel like you are assuming my position despite me stating exactly the opposite. Besides Darkfeign directly contradicted a completely unrelated point to the education system:

I disagree because programming is founded upon mathematics.

My original point still stands: People coming from a mathematics background intro programming need to practice good code hygiene, and all programmers need to recognise how important code readability is. This tangent about the education system is interesting, but hardly a pillar of my statements.

Not wanting to beat a dead horse, I have been away for a few days and just now catching up on this thread.

This stood out to me.

Yeah thats me. Which is why I didn't go full on CS, and instead, are quite content working in IT. Maybe I could get better at math if I didn't have to work for a living and could do school full time, but oh well. We can't all be winners.

at least your not one of those old guys working in a grocery store.

Would anybody know how to get Postfix to work on Linux?

apt install postfix ?

the problem is its not sending emails. I am able to add emails to the que but then I get nothing on the other end.

what system is it running on? The port could be blocked by the firewall?

Its running on Ubuntu server

yes I am very glad for that.

nmap -sT -O localhost should check for open ports, make sure that the one you're using for mail is open.

nmap seems to be having issues,

What is the command to open the port on the firewall?

it depends on whats blocking it (if its being blocked).

Most of the time system have that stuff blocked in ip tables.

sudo ufw allow $PORT

where $PORT is the port number.

Source