Computer Science Lounge - [Too Many Idea Men Edition]

Built my first twitter bot, using python and markovs of 2 twitter accounts:

https://twitter.com/RealDonaldWint

Also: slowly realizing I wasted 3 hours of my life.

2 Likes

post it here

1 Like

Posting to this thread would also be encouraged.

No, my bot is oscar charlie no touchie

1 Like

Anybody know how in C++ I could use getch() without waiting for user input?

You can use kbhit() function avaliable with conio.h "It returns a non-zero integer if a key is in the keyboard buffer. It will not wait for a key to be pressed."

if(kbhit()) {
  char c = getch(); 
}

You can also use threads but it is a little bit more complicated.

Looks like so much productivity here. Meanwhile I'm too lazy to finish just one of my aging projects.

2 Likes

I think thats only for Windows.

That did not work for me.

I made the game loop work!!!

1 Like

Yeah, for Windows with conio.h. With ncurses.h you should use int nodelay(WINDOW *win, bool bf); function.
ex.
initscr();
nodelay(stdscr, true);
char c = getch();
endwin();

1 Like

Looks like I can continue my internship during my fall semester. I am not sure what to even work on now. I can either make some upgrades to Prospector, upgrade Gravity, look at some machine learning stuff, graphics, data structures in prep for my classes?

@wendell At work they gave me a book called “The Senior Software Engineer” by David Bryant Copeland. I felt like I have learned a lot from this book. I was wondering if anybody else has heard of this book?

1 Like

Where are your ultra long term goals? You might be at the point where you need to start specializing in theory, business, or applied. For thoery, start taking more math of every kind. Business is business. And applied would be practice on large code bases and team projects. All of this in broad strokes, mind you.

I can speak from the theory aspect of things, and I think it is the thing that most significantly affects career peak later on, but holy hell does it suck before that.

Started learning ruby. Might as well.

1 Like

old but just saw this

1 Like

My long term goals are to either start my own consulting business at some point or to become a professor and start my own research startup companies with research dollars.

1 Like

So are you intending to be grant heavy, or fee heavy? For that, I’d guess you’d want to go the business route, and gain experience on your own on the side.

What do you all think?

what do you mean fee heavy?