Computer Science Lounge - [Too Many Idea Men Edition]

Let me know what you do I quite enjoy C programming and never had problems with memory management.

Same here with C it was the first proper programming language i learned and the next one is Java. Also I need to step up my knowledge on both languages for my algorithms and advanced oop class :/ Anyone knows good resources for both C and Java (preferably more for this one).

I find memory management a little confusing sometimes when it's applied on dynamic arrays or matrix lol.

EE? Is that electrical or electronic engineering? I take it you mean electronic engineering? Most people do.

As a general rule of thumb, electrical engineering can be considred as everything up to the plug socket (i.e. power generation/transmission and the physics behind it etc). Electronic engineering is usually everything after the plug, powering electronic circuits in appliances (analogue & digital circuits).

This is what we were taught in mechanical engineering which covers a bit of both fields separately and in conjunction with one and other; which is basically the study of electro-mechanical engineering (motors etc. with electronic circuit control and then analysing them as real mechanical systems, how quickly they speed up/down & overshoot).

1 Like

Oh neat :3 I like hacking hardware and I want to be better at what I have an interest in, but I mostly have an interest in finding out how it works and why and less the end result. I had never considered EE because I didn,t really know what it was but I think I would like it.

There ya go.

2 Likes

Professor's assistant? I did that for a few years. Was pretty nerve-wracking grading exams and such.

Lol, the assistants in my school, including myself, typically give near zero shits when it comes to grading exams. It is pretty easy to tell if the person knows the answer or not. If they are half way there, they get a half mark, etc. Maybe I'm just a horrible person.

2 Likes

the best source for C is The C Programming Language by Dennis M. Ritchie.

1 Like

May he rest in peace

2 Likes

@kewldude007

The PGF isn't just a fancy scope on top of a rifle.

Lol yes it is, the rest is just a good gun.

1 Like

more importantly it uses Linux.

1 Like

I wonder what happens if you drop your gun and it gets BASHed on a rock.

Ok I'll leave now.

2 Likes

I'm taking discrete math aimed at cs majors ( there are two different discrete courses at my uni)

I am taking Discrete Math this semester as well. Rosen is the book we're using for the course as well. Too bad my teacher is a complete and utter moron.

The teacher who usually gives this class is Ph.D lvl not like this clown. Luckly I have the notes he gives his class and am self studying so I can take Formal and Autonomous Languages with him next semester.
He takes a very interesting approach to discrete math and shows it while teaching the Racket programming language. Yay for functional programming! (It's important to have his code and understand it because it is used in his next courses)

Doing a PhD in AI here, though very limited knowledge of the datascience/ML side of things. Taken a few modules but that's it.

Contrary to how the others view the three, I would say ML/data science are subsets of AI. AI is about intelligent machines, but that includes narrow intelligence in terms of just achieving (super)human-level performance in a task. Machine learning is essentially pattern recognition/classification, and data science is essentially the same field with maybe some slight differences depending on who you ask. Data science is essentially the science of dealing with vast volumes of data, which is what machine learning relies on.

yea, basically what this guy said. they're all getting closer together as time goes on though.

OK, I got this to compile (GMP is no fun to compile on 64bit Windoze) and it actually diverges at higher iterations. Looking at the code I suspect that this is an error within the algorithm rather than the concurrency, I can't spot any obvious race conditions.

Could it be a problem that mpf_t are in the same struct?

I Doubt it. I've taken a closer look and I'm pretty sure it's a misunderstanding of GMP's floating point functionality or simply a problem with how you are printing the number with mpf_get_str. At some point the precision is being limited, but it's not a problem with the threading.