Computer disk speeds are bad

So I will start off with listing my specs. I have a dell latitude e420 laptop. That has a I72620 m processor and I have 4 gigs of ram. I am running on windows 10 64 bit. I have a 300 gig hdd.

Things I have tried doing
* defragmenting my computer
*using AML registry cleaner
*rebooting my computer at least once a week.
*making sure my Malwarebytes does scheduled scans when I am not doing anything.

My friend recommended doing a system refresh. However I was wondering if it is possible to do a system refresh that doesn't take out my programs.

Depends. What operating system are you running?

That said, if you're on windows, have you tried defragmenting the hard drive?

What do you mean by that?

Which version of windows?

the whole point of 'system refresh' -> reformat; is to get rid of everything.

still in your case maybe you should just defragment your drives.

Ok maybe you can explain the difference between system restore and system refresh?

system restore is when you restore a backup of your system,

refresh is not known term in computer world.

ok what would you describe this as? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQatmH0NWWc

You could...if you had your OS (presumably Windows) installed on its own partition.

As @anon5205053 said, you should try defragging first. When was the last time your drives were? Is your drive thrashing a lot (constant disk access sounds, activity light flickering constantly)? Download MyDefrag and run it. It's still the best out there. Make sure you run the "System Monthly" profile initially. If you have a data disk too, you can run "Data Monthly" on that. See if this helps. If it does, you can run the Weekly profile weekly. I don't run the Daily. The kind of work you do will determine if you need to run it that often.

Original site (archived) with more info.

This thread (from an outside forum) explains the differences between the efficacy of different defrag programs, if you're interested in learning more.

1 Like

some newb. using new windows terminology... do accomplish this all you had to do is remove your main account and clean up temps.

Yes I defrag regularly.

Maybe system refresh isn't in your vocabulary, but it is a setting that you can do in windows 10. You probably don't have windows 10. Look at this if your skeptical http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

4 gigs of ram might be slowing your pc , If you use swap file from a slow hdd things become sluggish , did you check ram usage ? 2.5 inch drives are even slower than 3.5 inch hdds. Download a benchmark and post the transfer speeds speeds , also maybe SMART status.

basically to accomplish the same thing you remove your profile, and run the windows default application ... in windows 10 by normal rate you never remove a software (if its windows store) its kept inside winsxs together with all other crap like updates different versions of drivers etc... thus by by removing your profile and defaulting your register you accomplish same thing.

I probably should have said this earlier, but my task manager shows my disk being used 100 percent. Which is how fast it can allocate the data from the drives. My question is how can I speed that up?

On @ignx's note, what are you running regularly? It definitely could be you're out of memory and relying on the swap file, which would slow load times to a crawl as everything that would be stored in RAM is written to the swap file temporarily. This would also significantly decrease the lifespan of your drive.

more ram and preferably ssd , even small one for caching or only for os and cachig.

what do you mean by "swap file".

The swap file is allocated space on your hard drive for virtual memory. Unlike RAM, which is physical memory, the swap file is only written to when your computer runs out of RAM. Therefore, it only exists when it needs to, hence virtual. When this happens, access times slow to a crawl, as reading from and writing to a hard drive is significantly slower than RAM (even an SSD is slower). By default, Windows is configured to have a swap file, but you can always do away with it. In that case, you'll get "suggestions" as to what program you should close when you're approaching your memory limit. When your limit is reached, Windows will close the program you were warned about without any notice. The advantage of this is you'll learn real fast what hogs your memory; the disadvantage is you could lose work if Windows chooses to close the program you're using, though it seems to target the biggest memory user first.

Sorry, I used Linux terminology. In Windows, the swap file is called the page file.

Ya I don't think it's worth the trouble of taking all the guts of my computer apart just to put a ssd in also It may not even fit with my current drive. You do know this post is under Laptops & notebooks right? For all I know my motherboard may only support 6 gigs of ram.