Computer crashes when playing advanced graphics games

Would the Corsair CX 500M work with my GPU (GTX 970)?

Yeah but if you're going to go the super cheap route get the evga 500b.

1 Like

a full system spec list would be handy.

1 Like

I have:
ASUS Z97-A
GTX 970
Intel core i5 4690k
8 gb ram
2 SSD's
1 HDD

But i wanna know how many amps you need in your 12 volt rails for the gtx 970

500W should be totaly fine, if its a decent one.
How much ampérage the card needs, can variate from card to card, its not realy a given standard.

could ofc be that your psu is a low quality one, or just dying,
But it could also be something else.

1 Like

Yes, it definitely can. PC components like GPUs are very sensitive and need precise, clean, stable power delivery. If the PSU cannot deliver this, it can damage or kill components.

In this case is it's just not able to deliver enough power for the demand because it's a relatively low wattage PSU with a multi-rail design and neither rail has enough amps for that GPU.

As others have suggested, go with a decent quality single rail PSU like the EVGA 500B.

1 Like

Sry i don't understand, what is a single rail PSU?

Is this a good PSU? http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/power-supplies/integra-m/integra-m-550w

looks fine to me, but maybe a bit expensive for a bronze rated psu.
Take a look at the EVGA Supernova GS 550W or the 650W model.

2 Likes

+1 too @MisteryAngel 's Idea, the Evga she recommended has 45amps on the 12 volt rail and the Gtx 970 only requires 28, so this is more then enough: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438049&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

1 Like

If you look on the side of a PSU you'll see chart of the different "rails". Typically, you'll see a column for +3.3v, +5v, and +12v (as well as -12v etc. but just ignore those). It will show the amps and wattage the PSU is capable of providing on each of those rails. It's the +12v you want to pay the most attention to. If it's a multi-rail PSU, you'll see more than one +12v column on the chart (like on your old PSU). If it's a single rail, you'll only see one.

These days, almost all modern PSUs are single +12v rail designs, except when you get into some of the much higher wattage units (like 1000w+) and even then, they are all switching to single rail designs and for good reasons.

The down side to multi-rail designs is it splits up how the power is delivered so you have to be careful of what components of your PC are powered by which rail to ensure adequate power delivery to all components. Case in point; getting enough power to your GPU. Usually it's divided up with one rail powering your CPU, motherboard, storage devices, and the other rail is meant for the GPU and accessories (4pin molex). How exactly it's divided can differ from one manufacturer to another.

But with modern single rail designs, it doesn't matter as all major components are powered from one +12v rail and all you need to worry about is that the total amps/wattage of that single rail can deliver more than enough for your whole system, GPU included.

1 Like

go back to nvidia drivers like 340
the drivers since uhhh gtav came out have had a screwed up bug
my home formatted 3 pc's thinking we had software and hardware issues over this problem

1 Like

Thank you all for your help. Now i wont kill my components and my computer wont crash. Just have to get some money and buy i new PSU!

yea currently im on nvidia driver 353.30 released on 6/22/15
no major issues to report since i regressed that far

1 Like