Computer acting weird now, freezing and then shutting down

Hello again guys, here with another thread with a computer problem.

Lately I been having some problems with this computer, when i play csgo sometimes it just freezes with a black screen and then it comes back normally. It does this like one or two times when i play in some cases (not always) but yesterday and the day before i was playing and it happened again but after the black screen it just reboots. Today i was just web browsing and it happened two times, it freezes and then reboots.

I have the latest drivers for my Nvidia GPU and i don’t think it could be a PSU issue, i think the model i have is a high quality one so i don’t know what could be causing this problem. Any thoughts?

My computer specs:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-2100 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor ($0.00)
Motherboard: Asus - P8H77-M PRO Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($64.99)
Memory: Kingston - Value 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($0.00)
Storage: Samsung - Spinpoint F1 RAID 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($0.00)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card ($57.10)
Case: NZXT - Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.95)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($62.72)
Other: Intel stock cooler ($5.89)
Total: $223.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-07 16:36 EDT-0400

Open the case, look if fans are spinning.

You are on Windows? Do you have monitoring tools for temps installed?

2 Likes

If your temps are ok…

Uninstall everything nvidia. Delete all nvidia files. Turn off PC and unplug from the wall. Important that PC has no power for several minutes. Then get drivers again. Do custom install, no 3d or HD drivers and clean install. Try again.

Check that video card is seated properly and power cable is connected properly.

If persist try video card in other slot. I know it is x4 but try. Only way to check if the video card is failing, unless you have another PC to throw it into.

1 Like

You could check the event viewer (assuming your using windows) and see if there are any applications/services that are freaking out around the times you get the black screens.

If things get desperate you could boot to a live Linux OS (Ubuntu for example) and run some stress tests. If the Linux OS crashes or starts reporting errors then it’s most likely hardware related.

3 Likes

Hello guys another thing, when web browsing i was on facebook and when i was scrolling a video appeared and then my PC restarted. Another issue is that when i push the button from the case to start my computer my monitor doesn’t show anything just the light from the monitor turning on and off.

It is weird that i need to open the case and i make sure that every cable is conected and then it starts normally. I’m going to check temps and drivers and do a clean install of them.

EDIT: Temps are about 46°C on package (Core 0 45-46°C and Core 1 41-42°C), the max value from HWMonitor is 54°C. Ambient temperature is 25°C.

Fans are spinning, i’m going to install HWMonitor to check temps and i have W10 installed

And GPU?

1 Like

I’m not playing at the moment and i’m using GPU-Z to monitor temps. Atm is about 37°C at 30% fan speed. I used DDU to uninstall the drivers and i installed only the graphics drivers without the 3d, hd drivers and geforce experience.

Also i noticed that when i was making sure the power cables from motherboard and gpu the 24-pin did make a sound so i think it was not seated at all. I hope that was the issue, i’m going to play csgo for a while to see what happens.

So far thanks to all for the help! :slight_smile: I will report any changes.

Keep us updated.
But that could verywell have been causing your issue yes.

New update

So, yesterday my computer worked fine during the day, i didn’t had any problems with the game crashing or freezing also on web browsing i didn’t had any problems too.

Now i have again the crashes, it happened when looking on my fb timeline and when my computer was loading the start up programs. Also it restarted when windows was loading, it freezes first and then restarts.

I’m getting worried now :frowning:

Well, if you tried all above… and you have no spare parts to swap out to trouble shoot, means we are down to guessing.

Seasonic is a great power supply and way more watts than you need, so I say motherboard. Your symptoms can be attributed to defferent parts for different reasons. The fact that you have several symptoms leads me to believe it is something that ties them all together.

That is a fully modular power supply though. Check all wires for proper connection.

You should use hirens to test your RAM and and boot HDD. You could use Linux to check if the issue persists when you boot to it.
Besides listed above, you should check for BIOS updates, chipset updates, and make sure all of you drivers are installed and up to date. If you have an on board video chipset, completely remove your GPU (after uninstalling its drivers) and try the onboard video to see if the issue persists. Issues like these are process of elimination in a lot of cases. I also wouldn’t doubt that it could be related to malware or some type of infection, Linux would help you answer that.

This^^

Wait for it to happen again, when it does write down the time it happened as closely as possible. Once you’re back up and running check your logs (Control Panel > Administrative tools > Event viewer). You should see, by default, a “Summary of Administrative Events” in the top center of the window. Is there anything there under “Critical”? What about “Error”? Make sure to only take note of any logs close to your timestamp.

You should see something along the lines of “Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power” and “The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.” Search the log for any errors before that as they might provide a bit more information as to whats going on. If there are no errors before that then its safe to assume the issue lies in the hardware.

Hello, again with another update with my computer.

I did what @Ramiel said about the drivers i have the latest BIOS and i downloaded/installed the chipset driver. It happened again some minutes ago and i have the log from the Event Viewer.

There’s 7 events when it happened the restart:

1. Warning - User device registration
  2. Error - Service Control Manager
  3. Error - AppModel Runtime
  4. Error - AppModel Runtime
  5. Error - Eventlog
  6. Critical - Kernel-Power
  7. Error - Eventlog

I’m going to check the RAM and boot HDD also.

Edit: so now my computer is acting weird again, even cant detect the clicks of the mouse, only the scroll. Tomorrow I’m going to take of the case all the components and test. I hope its not the power supply tho :frowning:

Do you know how to test these? Use Hiren’s.

Are you Windows 10? I’m going to say it’s probably not the PSU if I had to guess

I probably should have specified to open the logs by double clicking the entry to get more information about the error. Usually youll get a hex code that you can google for more info (0x…).

Since the UI doesnt seem to be working properly at this point I’m going to have to agree with others that you need to try a bootable OS to replicate the issue/test hardware. My recommendation is to get a 8GB USB flash drive or larger and use YUMI to make a bootable device from it. It will let you put multiple bootable ISOs on one drive. Put Ubuntu and something like Ultimate Boot CD (or Hirens, or whatever you want that will test hardware).

Use Ubuntu live without installing to browse the internet (do the things you normally do when the issue occurs) and see if the issue persists. If it does persist with Ubuntu you can move on to testing specific parts of your hardware with Ultimate Boot CD.

Yeah need a bit more info. Those messages could have appeared after the restart. Check the timestamps and see if you can grab the messages leading up to the shutdown. All I can gather from that is the computer had an unexpected shutdown, potentially power loss.

Install the asus AI Suite and check that voltages are good.

Someone also recommends turning Interrupt Moderation OFF.

Another update, so i used the Hirens boot cd and did a test on my HDD and everything was fine. Will post more later the messages from the Event Viewer :slight_smile: