Comprimsed Accounts and User Activity

I feel like an idiot even typing this out again but here goes.

So I had a secondary email for a few years (more like 6) that I used mostly for things that were for spam and other stupid sites that required an email to setup an account. This was before I learned about burner email services. I have found out as of 10/5/2020 that this account was compromised and the new “user” had setup accounts with many websites and even went to so far as to leave reviews for these sites services. I know this because I was able to password reset these accounts and login. Some of these accounts are as old as 7 to 8 months and even have premium memberships for these sites.

One thing that another person had told me is that there are botnets that are designed to get your information then have the new account holder get this information in an attempt to steal credit card or even personal information. Lucky for me my old email account was never used for anything like this.

Again I feel like an idiot because I didn’t take this accounts security seriously. I have since went through all the accounts that this email was linked to and notified the sites admins that they email address was compromised and to please close their account. If they actually have done so I won’t know because I have closed the old email account.

It has caused a great deal of stress in my life. Let this be a warning to others to please take their security seriously. Even if it’s an old email account.

9 Likes