[Complete] Paranoid NAS Part 2: Mercury Kill switch (Get crackin' challenge)

But you aren't related to Hillary Clinton's so destroying your own file server is going to land you in prison anyways

Thermite powder is completely inert and actually rather difficult to ignite
You need something very high temperature like magnesium or... peanut butter

Just enough of thermite powder in a small packet above each spinning hard drive platter should be enough to just reach and drip onto the actual Drive platter but not completely penetrate

Used in correct doses,
this should not really cause too much of a fire
as the only thing close enough would be the plastic of the power lines

Drop or two Of molten iron should completely destroy a hard drive

1 Like

Whatchu talkin bout whillis?

Thermite is predictable and safe

Any video you have seen on the internet,
has most likely used pounds more than necessary to achieve the task

It does not have a minimum amount necessary to work
but it does have a minimum amount necessary to actually form a bead or a drip of molten iron

which is what we want to get out of the idea here

a drop or two of iron
to breach the outside case of a hard drive and hit the inner platter

Turns out not to be the case. I'm sure it would make things difficult but if we're talking about making a disk unrecoverable then you need quite a bit of thermite.

Also, no.

I would assume the thermal stress from Rapid expansion would completely bork any data on the actual platter itself

Not to mention any actual physical damage Where is the iron actually contact the platter

But I suppose if you want to be ^SAFE^
(Like a pussy who DOESNT want a housefire..)

You could add in a very small uninterruptible power supply to the inside of the case
Hardwired into the power supply
that triggers a program
that begins to randomly write data across your hard disks when it triggers

the old disk
Derrick's Boot and nuke
comes to mind

Should be easy to program as a trigger
From the internal USB header
when the uninterruptible power supply kicks in
it already can be set to send a signal to automatically run a script and shutdown your computer safely

just alter that script to activate the nuke software

Someone unplugged your nas
Not just simply unplugged but also tripped your Mercury switch
A simple script check if and or

IF uninterruptible power supply activates
AND Mercury switch is tripped
THEN activate script

The UPS triggers the script upon activation and begin scrubbing your drives
It powers the nas long enough to scrub your drives

Alternatively, you can set up the program to run. should you fail enter your personal security code
At boot.

Well an encrypted disk without the key (especially if you destroy or scramble the key) is as good as nuked, and it doesn't take several hours to do. The way this is set up is that if the computer is disconnected it will be locked, and the keys will be locked, so it doesn't need internal power or anything like that, the disks can't unlock because the keys don't exist anymore.

Also, this is what I'm basing needing more than a little thermite to destroy a disk off

1 Like

You are assuming that you're method of encryption is actually never compromised

Some five years down the line you never know what kind of new hardware or software trickery will rear its head and render old security methods obsolete

Internal power and a script to actually over right and erase the hard drives would be safer than giving them a working copy to eventually decrypt

I mean if you're going to be all paranoid about it...

It would literally take days to secure erase the disks, even if I could fit a battery that big in there there's no way an attacker wouldn't notice what was happening.

If destroying the data was a goal then flash media would be a better alternative, especially the stuff which can auto destruct.

1 Like

We're not talking a complete full secure erase

we're talking random rites over as much of the disc as possible
to blend up the data as much as possible

obviously the longer the better eventually doing a complete rite would be the best

but just enough to completely wreck the data as quickly as possible

If everything is already encrypted then making random rights all over the disc for as long as possible is going to make the decryption even more ridiculous

Also that video is highly amusing I believe he has the right idea around 19:50 or 20 minutes but the completely wrong formula

Too much iron oxide in their mixture.
it's burning much too voraciously.
The goal is to have a crucible Above the drive to aim and direct the iron flow over the drive platter

Is mixture has so much iron with that it is spewing all of the reaction outside of the case

in an attempt to steal your data then at least with this methid
they need to breach the case of your network storage
to physically unplug the drives

and during all that time your drives are being further destroyed physically by the script jumbling up your encrypted files with random writes

A small internal power supply running that script erasing your keys and then after that with its remaining power writing random data across your array which should already be encrypted mind you
to do as much possible damage to the data itself

without the key it would be ridiculous to do
so but if you have other random junk data written over your encryption. Then the work becomes impossible

Long story short
you do not need to secyre erase an encrypted file
if you just overwrite a small portion of that file with junk data randomly
it becomes impossible to decrypt

which they would have days to do.

I don't want to destroy the data.

Well I guess that's the entire point isnt it?

If you have a Mercury switch or other safety Protections in place to destroy your encryption Keys you are effectively attempting to keep someone out of your data

Therefore either you want them to have your data or you do not
and in the case that you do not want them to have your data
you should First
erase your encryption keys
and then immediately begin writing random junk data all over the array

If you simply just erased your encryption keys eventually they will get your files decrypted and accessed

if they have any amount of time to breach your case

that time would be spent by the internal power supply destroying your data

unless the only data on this system is your
Aforementioned ^never going to give you up^
music video and you want them to have it

The only secure method of not giving someone your data in the case of a theft is to destroy that data

At any rate talk to text me at this point is anoyying me
and I already see the Morning Light it is now 6:04 a.m. I'm going to sleep

You'd have to do that to every block to make it unrecoverable. If they have the ability to break the encryption then they have the ability to repair and recover files from a damaged file system.

Yes.
that is why I previously said
" the longer that you can run the process the better obviously"

What I'm hearing out of you is basically

Unless it's a complete secure whole wipe
they will get some of the data

so I might as well not bother
So I'm not going to do any Data Destruction whatsoever

The way encryption works is by making your data into a code
if you then make that code completely jumbled by writing exra junk data
then it becomes impossible to make a cipher to decrypt that code
Because of the extra junk data

If all you do is erase your decryption Keys your data physically is still in a pristine 100% useable format
and they simply need to do the math to recover that decryption algorithm

now if you have junk data written over that

it becomes 100% unusable.

any file that they attempt to pull off of that does not decrypt properly looks like bad data

cannot be decrypted because it will look like a random allotment of crap information
And be skipped by any program attempting to find the code

Effectively you are encrypting your encryption
But without any type of recovery key
And that new decryption key gets longer and more complex every second that that drive is not not unplug

Running a script for a couple of minutes that will write junk to the disk won't be enough to destroy the data. Maybe some will be unrecoverable, but some will be able to be restored from parity data and the rest will be untouched. So either you erase a few gig at the start of the array, or you writer junk randomly, either way most of the data will still be there if they have the ability to break the encryption.

Read post number 34 I believe we posted our responses to each other at the same time

I've read it, that's not how it works.

What I am saying is there will be no parody data you are effectively encrypting your encryption with no key and that key becomes more complex every second that the system is still able to function they will not be able to use any recovery data
Because you're parody data is on the first layer of your encryption which is being destroyed by the random data what I would consider your second layer of encryption

No, only the blocks which have junk written to them will be unrecoverable, everything else will be fine. And due to parity if that junk is written randomly then some or most of those blocks will be recoverable.

Then use a solid compression to make the drive one single file
If they don't have the specific hash file to decrypt then that entire file is useless