Complete beginner in need of guidance

Hi everyone (my first post so i thought i'd be polite),

I'd like ask what are the steps required in making pc games (mostly simple 2d indie stuff). I don't want any cliche` stuff like "Sitdown and visualise what you want your game to look like" or "You must first know yourself" lolz.

But I wud like to know the first technical steps like

1) What's a good programming language to learn? (C++ maybe?)

2) What programs do I need to download?

3) What level of harware do I need?

I'm not really looking to make money off of this... It's more like an interest of mine... Not saying some extra cash wouldn't be nice...

Thanks in advace for any help,
Nick 

any hardware will do and what languages do you know, if you don't know any then start off with java then work your way to C++

programs, theres a million just depends on what type of language and type of game you want to make

I'd suggest a run and gun like Megaman zero but that's just me maybe a turn based RPG might be more suited

thanks man... i appreciate the input

I would recommend starting off with python then make your way up to c++. Python is a super nice clean and powerful scripting language that will get you coding on your feet fast. Plus c++ and python have some intercapabilities and similarities from what i have read. I am currently introducing myself more and more to python.

I failed to mention earlier that I have some familiarity with programming in Pascal and BASIC from seconday school (equivalent of high school i think)... So I should be able to pick-up Python pretty quickly, hopefully.

Thanks you for the advise Ferman

Python would be the simples choice i'd imagine, there is a package called PyGame, which you could check out when you have gotten to know python a little bit better

http://www.pygame.org

There's plenty of "Good languages" to learn, it depends on what you want to use it for.

C++, C, Delphi, and the like are getting replaced (In the workplace) by the ease, and simplicity of .NET. I'm an avid coder of C#, and know VB.Net aswell, however I dispise the simplicity of .NET. Learning .NET as a beginner language, then that's not a big deal, but you really should learn lower level languages. Learning said lower level languages will allow you to broaden your understanding of computer systems, and how they function, as well as how applications themselves function.

As for what you'll need, if you're going to learn a language that Microsoft offers, than you can go with Visual Studio, or <insert language here> express. Express is one language, and is free. Visual Studio is all languages, and costs money.

Any hardware will do, as long as you're not running on an Apple 2.

> C++, C, Delphi, and the like are getting replaced (In the workplace) by the ease, and simplicity of .NET.

Hmm, i disagree with that. Standard C/C++ always stands out when it comes to portability. I suppose this is not the case with .NET, correct me if i'm wrong.

> Learning said lower level languages will allow you to broaden your understanding of computer systems, and how they function, as well as how applications themselves function

Agreed :)

You can start off with C++ but i would reccomend starting with JAVA.

I've done some game programming, and I'd really have to say that Actionscript/Flash is probably the best place to start if you're just getting your feet wet.

Let me preface by saying this: actionscript won't get you super far in the gaming industry. Unless you're zynga or some other really lucky company. That being said, there are several reasons why you should start with flash.

• It's really the most ubiquitous of platforms. It runs on like 99% of machines (excluding moblie, but who really like playing games on their phone anyway? PC ftw).
  • There are countless fantastic resources for flash programming.
  • It's a fully fledged object oriented language that's been under development for some time.
  • It's super easy to get started with. Stupid easy really. I could sit down and crank out a half-assed flash game in like 15 minutes.
  • Having the flash tools to create assets with is really nice. You can do all of your artwork, audio, animating, and resource management with the same program.
  • Learning flash will help familiarize you with the concepts of game design. Granted, you won't be doing a lot of graphic heavy, 3d programming, but for learning the basics, it's hard to beat.
  • It has similar syntax to a lot of other languages used to make games (e.g., Java, C#, etc...), which will be helpful should you ever choose to switch.

If you're looking to just dive in head over heels, go with C++. It's a very low level language compared to most modern ones, and will indeed help you learn about the concepts of programming as it relates to the hardware. Most big titles today are programmed in C++ or use an engine built with C++, all of which will serve you well if you don't mind the torture of becoming a good C++ programmer. And it is (imo) torture.

It has been two months since I began this thread and I would just like to thank everyone who has offered me advice. I have begun programming in C++ over these past couple of weeks and I do believe that in the near future I will have a firm grasp over all the fundamentals of this language. I look forward to sharing anything awesome I create in the months to come with this amazing community.

Thank you all