Compiling Asus-Merlin with extra modules

So as the title suggest, in the end, I'm trying to compile the Asus-Merlin router firmware for the RT-AC68P but with additional modules that will allow for the use of USB audio devices.

Unfortunately I'm a complete noob at linux software building as I don't really do much of it other than fiddling and usually bricking installations, so I really have no idea what I'm doing.

I've been working on it for a few days and it's driving me mad the fact that it should be so simple but like I mentioned, I have no idea what I'm doing.

The inspiration behind what I'm trying to do comes from this post, where someone has recompiled the firmware, only with the modules that I want, and a fancy script to autoload them on startup. The modules that I want he even posts but unfortunately the RT-N66U uses a mips CPU, and the AC68P uses an ARM CPU so the modules posted with not load on my router.

As it is right now, and as others have mentioned, the current source for the Asus-Merlin firmware will not compile, so I went back to the 376.44 firmware and it all compiles fine, but those modules do not show up, which means they're not enabled or selected somewhere.

So my question is, to those who know more than me. Where would I go to select those modules for compilation?

A few other handy posts:
Compile Firmware from source using Ubuntu