Compatible ram?

Recently purchased a HP laptop, one of the Victus models. It came with 16GB of RAM, looking to expand to 32GB.

According to the official documentation: Illustrated parts catalog | HP® Customer Support

It should be the case that the model number is:

8GB → L46598-001
16GB → L67710-001

However, running wmic memorychip list full

Tells me the parts installed are in fact:

8GB → M471A1K43EB1-CWE

The 16GB variant being: M471A2K43EB1-CWE

Details here: M471A2K43EB1-CWE - Samsung 1x 16GB DDR4-3200 SODIMM PC4-25600S Dual Rank x8 Module

This all seems very esoteric, strange model numbers for very specific Samsung components that seem to have variants and no way to tell which exact one I need.

And then there’s the issue of 3rd party memory.

Is there a tool out there I can use to test this? Some way of determining the Motherboard information and what that is compatible with? Or should any old RAM work as long as it’s the same specs, that being:

DDR4-3200 SODIMM PC4-25600S 1.2V

?

Yes.

99.99% of the time with laptops same or similar specs will work fine.

e.g. you might be able to go with 1.35V memory maybe… which right open the door to get an even faster memory kit at the cost of some battery life and cooling.

… or you might want to go to 2666 memory, with lower power use and lower throughput, but get modules with slightly better cas.

Here’s some ideas:

^^ in case you want to go to 64G(not sure why I misread that’s what you wanted), you can play with filters to get what you’re looking for.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice.

The PDF says 32GB is the max supported. Not sure if that’s hardcoded for that motherboard or just “advice”?

It’s probably the biggest they tested/validated with their own components they’d normally sell, the CPU (… or should I call it SOC or APU) supports 64G, and there’s pretty much no components between that HP could mess with.

It could be limited by firmware if HP decided to gimp it intentionally somehow, but that’s unlikely.

(RAM needs to be initialized before it can be used, during very early firmware boot there’s some complicated ram initialization that happens, I doubt HP would mess with that code and would be more likely to just keep using whatever AMD tells them to use)

1 Like

pull the ramstick. it should have its specs on a sticker.
or run cpu-z and check the memory/spd tabs. the part number should be listed and the timings you need to match, shown.
why?
wmic memorychip list full isnt 100% at reading the specs.

google is ssn/part number and find the same ram at a price you can stomach.
if its on amazon try the same search on the retailers website often its a little cheaper with less p&p

get 1 stick of 16 gig.
as long as the timings match you should be good.

You can also double check using Crucial’s compatibility database. Of course it will only suggest Crucial brand DIMMs but it will tell you max capacity and speed/volt/timings.

1 Like

From SI/OEs, they’d show a basic summary of components, that went through validation

Looking at the component producer, may have bigger scope of support
If >1 part made it through testing/validation, more parts would’ve passed

I ended up getting 32GB of Kingston, since I noticed they were offering single-rank(only one too it seems).

Because why not. Wasn’t even that expensive.

Delivered today, gonna install em this evening.

Install seemed to work fine, amount is available, settings are like this, which I think is ok?

1600Mhz per chip makes 3200 total, that’s how it works, right?

Everything looks good

That’s just how DDR memory works in general. 1600mhz is the actual clock speed but 3200mhz is the effective frequency since it reads memory twice per clock cycle. They chose the bigger number for marketing purposes.