Company wants to ban browser addons

Our company wants to ban browser addons because a few users had old addons installed which were part of a botnet.
Anyone got good arguments against this? I would miss my ublock, keefox etc…

Thanks

3 Likes

malicious ads would be a far bigger problem for the company, and extra bandwidth use due to loading ads.

6 Likes

uBlock increases security by blocking malicious ads.

KeeFox increases security by compelling employees to use secure passwords and store them in a safe.

6 Likes

If they are insistent on banning the addons maybe talk them into whitelisting certain addons. May not be the most ideal solution but is still better than outright banning them

7 Likes

Agnosis will fuel future issues. Education/guiding people to understand what plugins to use, and maybe monitoring of their extensions could pave the way for better understanding of technology in the 21.1st century workplace.
As ^^others mention some plugins are essential for security.

Add typical topics i.e AI, machine learning, left-wing studies etc for added credentials to really make em say wow. image

I’ve mandated (and installed) Ublock Origin on all the workstations here.

2 Likes

How about using the softwares features and manage updates remotely?

3 Likes

You can roll this for Chrome too:

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/187202?hl=en

We don’t block extensions at any of my clients, but I rather feel we should require some- such as HTTPS everywhere, ublock or basic adblocker, etc. I would guess 80-90% of the cleanups, fixes, and reloads we end up having to do are a result of ads and bad links.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the replies. We are currently checking how to whitelist certain addons in every major browser.

2 Likes