Community effort

In regards to testing with different distro and dm, I guess we will need a procedure to rule out those two bring a problem with said software?

1 Like

Iā€™m fairly certain itā€™s either a MLT issue or kdenlive. Itā€™s not a graphical crash, itā€™s a crash from processing. Gnome has no business in the processing threads, so it shouldnā€™t be there.

Maybe save the issues to the bug-hunt thread guys :wink:

2 Likes

FYI, thats not how you fix bugs.

8 Likes

No offense brah, but the only thing Iā€™ll do on XFCE, is pretend to be 90 years old.

I get KDenLive crashes on Gnome and KDE, across Debian and Fedora.

3 Likes

Itā€™s not a terrible strategy when it comes to gnomeā€¦ :wink:

Part of the reason Iā€™m interested in this community effort is my prior observation that linux generally has plateaued and has begun to bloat and destabilize int he last 5 or so years. Itā€™s one thing to give up frills for unquestioned stability, it another to trade one set of crashes for another. Iā€™ve been using linux for as long as it has existed. It used to always get better until nowā€¦

I just put the idea out there I was really hoping the community would take it up and continue. Edit anything you want. Especially my grammar

1 Like

Sounds good. :stuck_out_tongue:

From the current results of the voter poll, it looks like we can knock out 3 things at once. install Solus with Kden live and work on Vulkan simultaneously. >(-_-)>

3 Likes
4 Likes

I am not sure how many people actually volunteered to take part with the testing but I was thinking that we could break up into 3 teams working on different projects within that space and have the most experienced guys leading those projects handing out assignments.

1 Like

thereā€™s no reason they canā€™t go up on the list next month for another round of votes.

1 Like

Put a poll on poll syndicate to see how many may decide to join the project -

3 Likes

Do you guys want to establish a best practices sort of thing, while weā€™re at it?

Maybe we can talk about some git basics, too. Like why you should fork the repo versus just clone it

2 Likes

Yeah defo gonna need a howto basics guide, but we could demo this first run with a feather up in our asses letting the wind blow, and afterwards go through the problem parts.

Maybe for starters having someone as ā€˜leadā€™ (not perhaps the right term for things like this)
could give some higher ground tho.

4 Likes

Git Basics

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2

The game will get you up to speed, quick. Might have to play it a few times.

Chapters 1 through 3 of that book will get you comfortable with 90% of the platform. The rest of it is good, too.

2 Likes

I think someone ( wink wink @anon79053375 and @SgtAwesomesauce ) should make a guides about how to report a bug and how to contribute with different means than code, like translation, design etc.

Work in 3 levels maybe, itā€™s a tried and true method.

-Entry
-Familiar
-Wizard

EDIT: The thought behind this is (Iā€™m super bad at explaining), following a simple structure is easy maintain, people can focus more when they stay in 1 tier, and people in the tier above can provide knowledge to those in the tier below.

All of you whoā€™s been in the military are prolly familiar with this mentality when you train other people, but instead of knowledge, these splits are more of a ā€˜what can I contribute toā€™ thingā€¦

1 Like

My 2 cents coming from the ā€œother sideā€ (newb with no experience and full of github fail) is for the contributors of this thread to keep in the level1techā€™s spirit- document and explain to mere mortals how you go about what you did- even things as simple as ā€œtype xyz - debug > file, then I tailed the log file from xyz path and dissected the log looking for a,b and cā€-- much like LiveOverflowā€™s youtube channel (of course not so visual, just some explaining). Iā€™d love to follow as a non-capable of contributing person, but wanting to learn how by contributors posting how they do it. For instance a good example, @anon79053375 's Git Basics post.

4 Likes

Aw shucks, thanks guys. Give me until later today or tomorrow to have something ready.

Iā€™ll make a public repo on my Git and do a walkthrough of forking, commits, pull requests, and merges maybe? Would you guys be interested in something like that? I can do an older school project or something that Iā€™m not emotionally attached to that we can either make better or play with.

@Eden @SgtAwesomesauce @blackfire

You guys think something like the above would be best demonstrated here or a separate post? I guess if I post it here yous guys can always move it?

2 Likes