Community effort

Another total amateur here but it would be interesting being part of something like this for educational purposes, just need someone to coordinate all of this.

3 Likes

I have a little bit of porgramming experience, but not sure if Iā€™d be much help. If you need someone to just use the stuff and provide feedback, I can help there.

1 Like

Like Eden said people shouldnā€™t be put off the idea due to lack of experience, no one knows everything, but a huge strenght in character is the mentality to want to evolve.

EDIT: This project doesnā€™t need to be limited to the targeted software, thereā€™s also the leading aspect which is a valuable skill.
Someone could lead for one month, or two, and then the crew could give feedback and whatnot, then choose another lead for the next timeframe.

7 Likes

Iā€™ll try to chip-in anywhere I can generally. My next personal linux QA task is to hunt down the source of chronic clipboard overflow in CentOS+KDE.

I believe it is related to firefox plugins, but could also be selinux alert manager combined with firefox/plugins. Bottom line is Iā€™ve been limping for a couple of months for lack of time to get to the bottom of this. So, I clear, kill, re-start klipper frequently and occasionally have to re-start KDE.

coding without emacs CTL-K CTL-Y and cut&paste generally is infuriating and unproductiveā€¦

1 Like

How has this topic escaped me until now?
This is 100% something I can get behind!

Going to see If I can figure something out with the other leaders about how we can best facilitate this.

2 Likes

Theres should be a list and cordinated guide lines of what is going on and whoā€™s assigned/ doing what.
But I wouldnā€™t mind helping out with testing.

I am certainly no programmer, but I love doing troubleshooting and testing. In addition, I have some experience with Kdenlive. I would be happy to lend my limited expertise in testing, or for whatever tasks I am able to perform.

I Propose we call this the Perpetual Testing Initiative :stuck_out_tongue:

Also have plenty of ideas in the pipeline.

5 Likes

Add it to the list in djeā€™s post we will put together a poll and choose the targets.

4 Likes

I am also down and have some VM resources to throw in.

I have no experience in this but I am willing to lend a hand where I can and learn what I can. Might not be able to do much till the end of the month though, Iā€™ve got finals to work onā€¦

I can translate to (and from) Spanish.

2 Likes

This is good. One of the things that can make a huge difference is getting programs translated to different languages. Spanish is one of the largest languages, so your skills will be extremely helpful.

2 Likes

I agree, sometimes I see my friends, coworkers, classmates, etc. stuck with some piece of software, service, etc. just because the better alternative is available only in English.
Or misusing / not using them at their full potential because thereā€™s no documentation in their language.

1 Like

Oh, thatā€™s another thing. Documentation should also be available in multiple languages.

This goes beyond my knowledge but I know it exists: At least created/published to facilitate crowd translations. Every now and then Iā€™ve tried to translate projects but the instructions are like installing Linux From Scratch, ainā€™t nobody got time for that.

1 Like

We should just add Documentation to the list.

3 Likes

http://zanata.org/

This might be of use.

I think thatā€™s the most difficult part of getting translation done. Building a framework that makes it easy for people to pitch in.

2 Likes

For open source android apps this exists:

Thing is this is relatively easy for android due to the well defined string handling.

For other applications though its more complicated. What you linked though already looks really good.

I am thinking how to structure this. I think a poll each month on the 15th could go live with submissions for the next months project. Then on the roll over to the next month new thread is created to base information on it post suspected issues and gather info for devs.

15th poll Live
1st new month new thread with project name

If we get enough ppl Jenkins or something could be set up but I think for the first couple just see how it rolls and how many people want to put time into it.

In the project thread post info on where bug tracker is
How to debug
Where logs are stored

5 Likes