Community effort

Sounds good. :stuck_out_tongue:

From the current results of the voter poll, it looks like we can knock out 3 things at once. install Solus with Kden live and work on Vulkan simultaneously. >(-_-)>

3 Likes
4 Likes

I am not sure how many people actually volunteered to take part with the testing but I was thinking that we could break up into 3 teams working on different projects within that space and have the most experienced guys leading those projects handing out assignments.

1 Like

there’s no reason they can’t go up on the list next month for another round of votes.

1 Like

Put a poll on poll syndicate to see how many may decide to join the project -

3 Likes

Do you guys want to establish a best practices sort of thing, while we’re at it?

Maybe we can talk about some git basics, too. Like why you should fork the repo versus just clone it

2 Likes

Yeah defo gonna need a howto basics guide, but we could demo this first run with a feather up in our asses letting the wind blow, and afterwards go through the problem parts.

Maybe for starters having someone as ‘lead’ (not perhaps the right term for things like this)
could give some higher ground tho.

4 Likes

Git Basics

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2

The game will get you up to speed, quick. Might have to play it a few times.

Chapters 1 through 3 of that book will get you comfortable with 90% of the platform. The rest of it is good, too.

2 Likes

I think someone ( wink wink @anon79053375 and @SgtAwesomesauce ) should make a guides about how to report a bug and how to contribute with different means than code, like translation, design etc.

Work in 3 levels maybe, it’s a tried and true method.

-Entry
-Familiar
-Wizard

EDIT: The thought behind this is (I’m super bad at explaining), following a simple structure is easy maintain, people can focus more when they stay in 1 tier, and people in the tier above can provide knowledge to those in the tier below.

All of you who’s been in the military are prolly familiar with this mentality when you train other people, but instead of knowledge, these splits are more of a ‘what can I contribute to’ thing…

1 Like

My 2 cents coming from the “other side” (newb with no experience and full of github fail) is for the contributors of this thread to keep in the level1tech’s spirit- document and explain to mere mortals how you go about what you did- even things as simple as “type xyz - debug > file, then I tailed the log file from xyz path and dissected the log looking for a,b and c”-- much like LiveOverflow’s youtube channel (of course not so visual, just some explaining). I’d love to follow as a non-capable of contributing person, but wanting to learn how by contributors posting how they do it. For instance a good example, @anon79053375 's Git Basics post.

4 Likes

Aw shucks, thanks guys. Give me until later today or tomorrow to have something ready.

I’ll make a public repo on my Git and do a walkthrough of forking, commits, pull requests, and merges maybe? Would you guys be interested in something like that? I can do an older school project or something that I’m not emotionally attached to that we can either make better or play with.

@Eden @SgtAwesomesauce @blackfire

You guys think something like the above would be best demonstrated here or a separate post? I guess if I post it here yous guys can always move it?

2 Likes

If you’re going to make any sort of guide, my recommendation is to put it in the wiki/how-to and link it here.

That way, people can reference it as it’s own thread, rather than going to reply number 146 of a thread.

2 Likes

I agree on the wiki. If nothing else it can be used for future reference if it’s in the wiki section

3 Likes

Coming up to the end of the month. Can we decide about which projects to cover. Kdenlive is not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, how about doing kdenlive and dx that way we can get people in who are gamers and content creators.

I’m going to go for kdenlive I will post up the log and debug information soon.

Also should I suggest creating a thread for the project. Any thoughts?

2 Likes

I’ll help.

Let’s make a new thread for May (we’ll call it May, but we can start early)

In regards to two projects, I’d say let’s focus on one since this is the first month we’re doing this. We’ll basically leave Kdenlive off the list next month and that will let others win next time around. After a couple months, if we feel the project needs more help, we can add it back.

Also, for those who have voted for non-winning projects, feel free to contribute to that project if you want. This project here is designed to get people in the community to give back to the software they use every day. If you’d like to help your favorite software get better, do it!

@blackfire, let’s make the cutoff Today. We can make a thread and fill it with contributor guidelines and information.

I’m also going to create a new post here an turn it into a wiki for next month’s contestants. I’ll make a list of past winners in the OP as well, so we have an easy to find list.

Contenders for June Effort

• DXVK - DX11 to Vulkan Translation layer for Wine

This post is a wiki. Anyone can edit and changes are audited.

2 Likes

I wish that there was some payroll or tax software we could attack and do bug reports for.

1 Like