Comments on Wendell's RDNA 3 review, 7900XT 7900XTX, Dec 13, 2022

I have to say that this video review, here at Level 1, is undoubtedly the very best GPU review I have seen as far back as I can remember!..:wink: A long way back…:wink: Excellent. A must-watch review. If you don’t watch any other review, you can’t afford to miss this one.

Thanks, Wendell, for a perspective that is clear, concise, accurate and just jam-packed with so much good information I am probably going to have to watch it again to review what I missed. Fantastic job, Wendell. This review is head and shoulders above everything else currently out there. Just no contest.

It’s rare these days to see a reviewer whose experience and depth of knowledge drawn from that experience is such that he can make myriads of intelligent observations that provide a wholistic view of the GPU and how all of the disparate computing pieces can fit together. Wendell is not someone whose views are so shallow that frame rates are all he sees and knows. Thank goodness for that.

Wendell, please put this out on r/amd. It’s far superior and informative to anything else I’ve seen there today. It amounts to a public service.

Am I clear on how impressed I was here? I hope so…:wink: Again, good job, and keep up the good work! You guys have nailed the presentation better than anyone currently, and I’ve been around the block once or twice. Thanks again for a meaningful, worthwhile video review!

1 Like

A bit surprising to see that no one else agreed with my assessment here on the L1 forum–well, at least enough to say, “I agree” or “I had similar thoughts,” etc. Even a “I thought it sucked” response would have been more interesting than just crickets…:wink: I was the only L1 forum member who saw this review? Tough crowd… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Comments were likely posted on the YT video itself
… You know, the whole feeding the algorithm…
Was ready to say disappoint, in 0 Linux mention, during the driver rambling
But that was averted, thanks to mentioning that he’s crafting up a devoted video

2 Likes

https://media.tenor.com/HNqnAKrbmMcAAAAd/nods-spock.gif

2 Likes

Eh, it was okay. I want to do a better job conveying metrics but also why i think stuff based on what im seeing. its hard because then commenters will cherry pick stuff and take it out of context or make a bigger deal out of it.

I may have also just been salty that 4080s cost $1400 lol

5 Likes

I say, have you seen President Merkin Muffley in these parts, sir? Oh hell, are the Russians involved?

1 Like

I think EVERYONE is… lol

The performance of the 7900xt sadly kept me from going with the 7000 generation. Well and I found a 6950xt with the EK block (XFX 6950xt Zero EK) for $800 new… now I would have had a 7900XTX, but I waited in line release day only to find it sold out :frowning: That may have left me salty…lol BUT I still moved from Intel and Nvidia…and I’m totally happy with the upgrade from the 2080Ti

My friend that bought the 6950 has told me about every other day they cant believe how good it id ans how happy they are with it.

It sure feels like the titan with fp64 was a first volley into jacking the prices to the moon

2 Likes

Do you happen to have the peak junction temps of your card? Mine seems to run kinda hot but don’t have one to compare it to. I have the same 7900xtx Taichi but nobody to compare this one to

1 Like

If I want to see a gpu gaming review, I watch Hardware Unboxed. If I want to see how the gpu performs with Linux, I watch Wendell. No one else comes close to Wendell.
Sadly, for vfio, if I’ve only got one shot, I would go with NVidia. AMD RX 7900XT/7900XTX comes with pcie reset bugs, again.

1 Like

Did the Linux video ever come out? I don’t see it on the Linux channel.

I’m curious about these cards in a vfio setup too @jxdking , if reset is buggy that would really be a shame.

1 Like

It’s been a bit weird with mess, kernel and firmware updates. ASRock sent me the 7900xtx aqua for my thrradripperrrrrrrrrrr system so I don’t have to juggle. I had to send the sapphire card back so I didn’t have a lot of cards to juggle in different scenarios. I am trying to scrape together $ to get the toxic sapphire but also spending some mega $$$ on next gen kvm r&d so it’s been a bit. Tricky to finish up that project.

The 6000 series cards are easier. 7000 series cards work, but with some quirks, so far. Vfio is doable too. Big exciting things happening in looking Glass too.

1 Like

Can you tell me how hot your junction temp gets on the ASRock Taichi? Mine has been having a lot of heat issues even to the point of crashing in some situations and I don’t have another to know what temps I should expect under full load.

I have an Asus reference 7900XTX and the default power limit seems to be fixed at ~291W in Fedora 37 and 38.
It’s not heat related because i have tried with both stock cooler and water block. With water block the temperature is max 50C.
For a while i could raise the power limit to around 355w with corectrl but that option disappeared from the program a while ago.
Have anyone seen anything like this?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.