Commands you want know and how they work

Okay I have created YET ANOTHER THREAD... if you are new to linux and you would like to know how a command functions on its backend or what a command is actually doing. Please post it below:
If a lot of interest comes around after about 7- 10 days I may make a good long thread explaining how the commands work

RULES:
Post the name of the command
If it is DISTRO specific please post the distro
Specific version differences will not be discussed as those are for change logs.
Be civilized(If there are multiple commands.. put them in ONE post... not thousands..
Be organized. I want to help as much as possible but I cant if everything is all jumbled up

Thanks... and Lets see how much this grows... Ill compile all the requests in a word doc daily...

If you need an immediate reply even though it will eventually go into a nice terminology post eventually.. PM me or any expert willing to help. Thanks

REMINDER

I AM ONLY ONE PERSON... IF SOMEBODY WANTS TO HELP ITS WELCOME... BUT REALIZE FOR NOW I AM A ONE MAN ARMY LOLS
3 Likes

Here are my top commands:

cd /directoryname (allows the user in question to execute commands within said defined directory)

su (allows the user super user or root access, sudo should be used in most cases however)

gnomesu/kdesu (opens a GUI for the post defined application with root permission)

mkdir /path/to/directory (creates a directory)

touch /file/path (creates a .txt file)

rm /file (removes a file)

rmdir (deletes a directory)

None of these commands are distro specific.

2 Likes

cat FILENAME (reads file and displays the contents of file, Super useful)
nano FILENAME (simple text editor that works inside the terminal, there are others but this is the simplest)

rlogin (remote login)

ifconfig OR iwconfig (linux version of ipconfig command, lists network info)

1 Like

Guys I meant post the command if you dont know what its function is.. but hey at least that helps others :D... but for
F U T U R E reference... this is for things you do not know so you can learn.

What is make doing, and what is its process to compile? (any distro)

That might help =)

3 Likes

Yeah.. But this post was for the newbz so we could actually help them understand that.. I think we can read that and say cool it does that but... Let's explain to them what it actually is doing on the computer side.. If they want to know haha

most important of all - man (shows manpages for commands)

ls -l (lists files in a directory)
sleep (waits given number of seconds - useful to time commands)
killall (kills process)
ssh
scp
lspci, lsusb, lshw,....

1 Like

Don't forget this one:

killall
reboot
yum update/upgrade / zypper up/dup / pacman -Syu/-Syy/-Suu
gksudo

And of course:

man

I bet the newbz would love man

trust me, not only n00bz, I use it often myself to check required syntax on different systems...

Very true.. I used it my first time around d on opensuse... Documentation was wonderful

sudo !!
This will run your last command with admin privileges in case you forgot to elevate them the first try.

rm -rf /
Recursively remove everything in your root directory. Sometimes you don't want to copy paste random commands you find on the internet and see what happens.

history | grep something
Find all previous commands containing the word something. Or you can use Ctrl + r and start typing something. Press Ctrl+r again to cycle through the results and then Enter to execute. I like to tag commands I know I'll be using again by appending a # and an easy to remember name.

1 Like

Surprisingly I don't think I've ever used man and I've been using Linux for awhile now.

Some other really practical CLI tools:

powertop

1 Like

top is useful for displaying ram intensive tasks. Especially considering my laptop only has four gigabytes of RAM.

I love love man.......erm....that didn't come out right

And when that doesn't work use -help

1 Like

Grep

I get it...sort of, but I certainly don't use it as much as I should. Makes life easier

i.e. lspci | grep VGA

sudo vs gksudo

htop

1 Like