Comcast just told me that data bandwidth caps for all is happening

Horseheads, NY

@Logan
What's the point in broadband if it is capped? Sometimes, it is nice to live in Greece. Economic crisis, growing poverty, but at least ADSL and VDSL ( the usual technologies used by households and small businesses to access the Internet) are still uncapped.
Hey, why don't you move here? :D

@Logan this really sucks. Someone else mentioned COX cable as a good ISP, I currently am with COX and they are great. no caps and very reasonable pricing (about $85/mth) for my 100 down 15 up.

Maybe you should come down to Louisiana where I am at and use our municipal fiber. We have had it here for years. I just can't get it because I'm in an apartment.

Bring your "radical" ideas to the southerners and stuck up republicans around here LOL.

I hope you get it worked out.

What are the data usage plans being trialed?

Updated on March 16, 2015 at 7:07 PM

Introduction

This information applies only to XFINITY Internet customers in Huntsville and Mobile, Alabama; Tucson, Arizona; Atlanta, Augusta and Savannah, Georgia; Central Kentucky; Maine; Jackson, Mississippi; Knoxville, Nashville and Memphis, Tennessee; and Charleston, South Carolina.

As the marketplace and technology change, we do too. We evaluate customer data usage, and a variety of other factors, and make adjustments accordingly. Over the last several years, we have periodically reviewed various plans, and recently we have been analyzing the market and our process through various data usage plan trials. We are currently trialing several different usage plans as described below.

In all of our trial markets except Tucson, the data amount included with all XFINITY Internet tiers was increased from 250 GB to 300 GB per month. We offer additional gigabytes in increments/blocks of 50 GB for $10 each.

In the Tucson, Arizona market, the data amount included with Economy Plus through Performance Internet tiers increased from 250 GB to 300 GB. Those customers subscribed to the Blast! Internet tier receive a data usage plan of 350 GB; Extreme customers receive 600 GB. As in our other trial market areas, we offer additional gigabytes in increments/blocks of 50 GB for $10 each in the event that customers exceed their included data amount.

In addition, Economy Plus customers in all of these markets except Nashville and Tucson can enroll in our Flexible-Data Option, which is specifically designed for casual or light Internet users who typically use 5 GB of data or less a month. For more information on the Flexible-Data Option, see What is the Flexible-Data Option?

It appears that they've expanded their bandwidth cap “trials” into additional markets. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to roll them out nationwide though.

I was forced to switch from residential to business service a few years ago after they threatened to disconnect me for excessive bandwidth usage. I was under contract when they stopped enforcing those bandwidth caps, but I've been afraid to switch back as I fear they may return at any time.

Comcast is/has purchased TWC.

My contract is for unlimited bandwidth no caps, crap speeds but just good enough to be able to stream dependent on network traffic. I don't game online, mainly watch youtubes but living with DL whores it's good enough at the moment

NB One of my housemates plays online with his X***3**, no lag

kickstarter time!! lol

1 Like

I'll throw in some cash even though I'm not directly affected, the flow on effect should be good though

I don't know your family / friends situation Logan, but the beauty of your work is surely that you can do it from virtually anywhere in the world. Personal life permitting, I'd be inclined to move. For most people the internet is important, for yourself, it's your livelihood and your way of life.

Just curious.. do you think you could give us an approximate breakdown of your usage? 2TB a month is pretty monstrous!

It's not that much if it is both up- and download for a Youtuber. Even if it is download only, think of all the hangouts with wendell, various people in the house producing and consuming content and multiple machines to test, setup, change, setup... Windows updates alone can take 10s of gigs if you have no WSUS or update proxy. Also: No TV, all media consumption is web-based.

That blows man. Time to move to place with Google Fiber.

It's both up, and down speed, I did some tests while I was still on residential, and it included both.

Basically having the same problem here in Ohio with our only local cable provider. Currently paying a lot of money for 60/10 internet with a cap around 600GB. You can't even pay them any amount of money to give you uncapped bandwidth. There is only one provider in the area that provides unlimited bandwidth, and you get about 2/.5, and your internet goes out every time there is a light drizzle.

Hey @Logan here's what you should do....

Get a trencher...

Get some cable....

Get a horse....

Attach all to the horse....
And BOOM underground fiber optic cables!!

Just like Vermont

1 Like

300gb? What is this, bandwidth size for ants?

Seriously though I feel for you. My household constantly streams media and we "use" ~10-100GB data per day. I can't imagine being tethered to just 300 GB per month these days.

I guess terribly low data caps is the answer to my question: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/when-to-stop-paying-bad-companies/74116

hmm, gotta check this out.

my history is fairly similar about 2tb / month

(good thing i'm in illinois)

I have used around 1200gb for the past few months on just my main pc.... rip

Luckily right now I wont ever have to worry about Data Caps. Currently I am using a Local ISP and they do not ever want to do Data Caps. When I was on the phone with them ~2 months ago, they told me they are running fiber to everyone in my area. Well my area has fiber laid everywhere that I just found out and it had it for a few years now. Well just in town and along the main roads, but I live in the country portion and can only get wireless radio towers access since my road does not have any infrastructure. But they are rolling out Fiber next year in Northwest Ohio next year but it will be $130~150 per month for it. The IT guy at the ISP told me about it since I needed my dish to be reset since I lost connection. Pretty excited to be able to finally get something faster than 4Mb/s since it gets maxed out just by watching a YouTube video or just using Skype.

Thankfully google fiber is starting to get into more states and uverse supposedly just went into fiber so that maybe a option for people out there that dont want comcast no more.I don't know how real the uverse thing is hopefully true cause this would def make comvcast step there game up