Colocation - Getting Started

I am looking to migrate many of my cloud servers down onto my own hardware. I would love to give colocation a shot.

Scaling up and down with high-memory cloud servers is just not doing it for me, and looking at the 2-year forecast for server bills is giving me anxiety. I believe it may be cheaper in the long run to buy a nice “previously enjoyed” 2U server and throw everything I need onto it.

I don’t expect I will need more than 2U of space for the next few years. A single block of 8 IP addresses should also do just fine for me. My bandwidth requirements are pretty small, mostly web traffic that is delivered in quick bursts and a weekly backup of 200GB or so. Including the backups, my average monthly transfer rate is only about 4Mbps.

What do I need to know? What questions do I need to ask? Good places to request a quote from?

Probably anything related to security. Failover procedures. Things like that. Ask how hard it is to get on the floor if you need to make physical changes (drive failure). And also what is included in the quote. Explicitly. No implied stuff. Item by item what is and is not included. I would be interested to see what kind of prices you get back too