College PC build

Already have monitor, keyboard mouse etc. I’m mainly using Arch. Are there any corners I can cut? any bottlenecking parts?

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bqsdLD

Update:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/wrtfQV
Looking at some of your suggestions and here are some of my use cases:

chrome,
encode/decode video using vapoursynth and x264/265,
record and edit game,
windows vm for random things that I can’t do on linux (damn PDF
forms),
and I enjoy doing them at the same time.

My old computer has 16g of ram and it was bearly enough with swap so I think I will need 32.

QVL is a pain… I hope I can get some known working ram-motherboard pairs from you guys. thanks

1 Like

If you’re going to be spending that much money, you should probably go for an X370 motherboard. This will get you better power delivery among other things for your 8 core part.

Also, I’d verify that that the RAM kit you chose is on your motherboard’s QVL. 3200MHz CL16 doesn’t sound like Samsung b-die memory, so you may run into compatibility issues.

1 Like

As you seem to only be ordering two memory sticks, this doesn’t apply quite as much, but something to be wary of in the future:
It’s generally a good idea to get the memory sticks in a kit, verifying that the kit handles the type of channel you plan on using.
For instance, if you buy four memory sticks individually, it’s likely that they will only handle Dual Channel, where a kit of four will generally handle Quad Channel, which is a vast improvement on the memory bandwidth. There are exceptions, where manufacturers might offer a kit of 4, but it might still only support Dual Channel.

Just something to keep in mind as you’re looking at memory modules, since @shawnanastasio pointed out that they might not be on the QVL.

Collage XD

2 Likes

Some people take their scrap booking very seriously.

1 Like

autocorrection :frowning:

1 Like

whats your use case? unless the answer is virtual machines you probably dont need 32 gb of ram. you definitely dont need 850 watt psu.

4 Likes

Definitely true for both cases. I hadn’t considered that, as I built my system similarly, but because I use virtual machines and intend on my build to be an upgrade build (where I can just buy one new/replacement part at a time).

You might want to go micro-atx and a small case. I just moved to college, and I am very happy I switched my build to a micro-atx computer, because there isn’t a whole lot of room in my apartment. It’s something to think about.

whats your use case?

2 Likes

Most important. Can’t help without that except for simple things. Like compatible ram, the fact you will probably never be able to get that video card. Your CPU is not really a prime mate for your motherboard.

That build looks very hastily slapped together.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10571964-inspiron-5675-gaming-ryzen-7-1700x-8gb-ddr4-rx-580-8gb-256gb-ssd-1tb-hdd-wifi-bt-460w-psu-win10-970-50-dell-reward-f-s?src=catpagev2 boom

1 Like

updated, thanks for any suggestions.

I am assuming by what you have selected, $1800.00 is your budget.

CPU - If you want a Ryzen 7 I would suggest the 1700, it comes with a cooler and you can easily achieve the clocks of the 1700X and similar or very close to the OC of a 1700X.

MB - Pairing a Ryzen 7 with less than an X370 board is not a good pairing, IMO.

RAM: what I selected is more, but it is the ram I have. It posted with DOCP at 3066 with much tighter timings, without issue or tweaking. That is also quad channel on Threadripper. With tweaking I think 3200 is easy to achieve but I do not think would be noticeable in real world use. Also Samsung “B” die, best for Ryzen.

Storage: Do not buy an M.2 right now that is not a Samsung NVMe. Evo is the economical choice and will match the Pro in write speeds of 20GB or less. You wanted 4TB of storage, however the drive you selected is only 5200 RPM and would be very noticable. 7200 RPM would be much better.

PSU: 850 watts is overkill, but could come in handy if you expand current configuration and only $20 difference.

GPU: RX 580 is a good card.

Case: will suffice and your choice. There are plenty of better options, but they came at a price.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4bxJcc

The Samsung 960 Evo is $10 cheaper at New Egg and free shipping, but it would not let me enter it.

Great help, thank you. My main concern is the memory compatibility, I heard it quite good but after looking at QVL as suggested I can’t find much at all… I guess I could return them if it totally won’t post.

There will be a performance penalty for using all 4 dimms. Ryzen can now handle 16GB sticks so are a better option. Samsung “B” die is what you want. I prefer Team ram, Dark Pro if you can get it.

With the new Agesa update, most ram is capable of 3000MHz

Here is a short list of some compatible ram with Ryzen:

Oh, so it depends on the CPU, not the motherboard?

I updated my post.

Yes and no. But AMD carries most of the responsibility. It’s up to MB after that. Earlier MB with certain options allowed better ram compatibility with tweaking.