Cognitive Liberty?

Just say no to brainjacking:)

1 Like

We've got a thread for that:
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/dystopian-cyberpunk-irl/117644?source_topic_id=117669

Didn't see that. Thank you.
Edit- I actually didn't see anything in that thread like I read in the scientific american article.

2 Likes

Human brains used to be secure and now they're not anymore... it's just an extension of the pattern.

I meant that it was a good fit there. Chances are you'll get more discussion in the mega thread

1 Like

This stuff only works if the is a single tier economic class; where everyone plays by similar rules. In today's world, some people must protect their dominance over others and will make sure their "class" is unaffected.

In my mind, being able to detect the the truthfulness of an individual's story by accessing their memories could be useful in a court of law. Unfortunately, I can see it do a lot of harm in our current political/economical climate.

Disclaimer: Just thinking out loud.

I like the technology. I am curious how such an invasive technology will be greeted, and how it will be used. They have been working on imaging a person's thoughts for a good while now... with some success.

1 Like

I also think the technology is amazing, no doubt. I also see some awesome uses for it in the areas of medicine. But in the real world of business and economics, every company has to do a little better this quarter than the last, so I have zero faith this stuff will be used for people's benefit. It sure will be interesting, though. Especially when the leaks come out about what is actually being done to people. The spying and manipulation issues over phone apps, smart tv's, and the like that have come out in the last few years will pale in comparison to the public reaction to BCI abuses.
Right now, if you find out a cell app is using your camera, mic, location data, etc., even though you turned it "off", your reaction to it is still your own. Yhay will change soon, because with BCI, you won't know the difference between your own thoughts and emotions, and ones that are pushed on you through a neural interface. With this thought, maybe when the extent of what they are doing comes out, nobody will care, because we will all be corporate zombies:)

1 Like

Honestly, it would probably be a sped up version of information/misinformation affecting us all through more conventional media.

Unless they are actively damaging brain cells in order to re-program, we should be capable of resisting the influence of data (or using the data) being presented to our brains in any form.