Coffee Lake Thread

Did not see a coffee lake thread. And August is very close.
Anything related to Coffee Lake is a-ok
Anyone who spells Coffee Lake with the letter "V" will be shot.............kidding :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder how Covfefe Lake SKUs are going to look.

With the G4560 having hyperthreading the i3s are losing their market segment, so maybe i3s will become four-core parts? Essentially shifting the current core/thread lineups down a segment? So i3 would be 4c/4t, i5 4c/8t, i7 6c/?t.

Price is also another factor, the current cheapest 4c/4t 7th gen part from Intel is $190. The Ryzen 3 1100 is also 4c/4t, but has higher clocks, is unlocked, and everything is pointing to a retail price of $129. So unless Intel drops prices I don't see them gaining back any of their market share.

2 Likes

ROFL
I did see the OC'ing I3 dropped from 179 to 129 with an aditional 30 off for a combo.
Intel will look towards their marketing dept for help LTT Forums
Looks like it will intergrate wi-fi and usb 3. Not exciting at all. Unless we see really cheap Motherboards!

im expecting i7 chips to be 8c/16t to directly compete with AMD 1700 and higher chips. dont see intel having a 6c part as that leaves AMD ahead

1 Like

The link in the OP only mentions up to 6 cores, not a peep about 8 core parts.

On further search, looks like I may be sorta right with my initial post, i7s might be 6c/12t parts. i5s might be 6c/6t as well. Maybe i3s will actually be 4c/4t?

1 Like

They have kind of drawn themselves into corner with their previous pricing. In short it was too damn high.

Now they are going to have to sell at a much lower price to stay competitive with current offerings. So that is going to burn all of their older customers from this year and last who paid a lot for what is now available a lot cheaper.

3 Likes

Just sitting here with my I7 7700k and a coffee cup full of regret.

3 Likes

For gaming? You'll be fine.

IPC on that core is still monster.

1 Like

Oh this system is definitely nice. I cannot complain about how it performs.

But knowing that something new and better is coming out, irks me lol

Personally I hope threadripper smashes Intel's X platform pricing as well. I'd love to get an affordable system with quad channel memory going. Just because I like quad channel for the aesthetics. (yes I know that's a dumb reason)

That's why I love my FX 8320E, Regrets where just a click away the day I bought it, 3 Full years of bad gaming benchmarks.
Hope this helps:)

2 Likes

I do keep going on about this, but hopefully this means we'll be seeing 6-core mobile parts by the end of the year very early on next year.

Saying that, I wouldn't mind seeing some Ryzen mobile parts in thinner chassis, but the fps hit in gaming from them running at lower frequencies than the desktop counterparts would be a downside. The affect isn't as pronounced with Intel chips.

That's every year no matter what you get.

Imagine nvidia enthusiasts this year, they got fucked 4 ways.

Edit:

@Zavar aren't their ryzen laptops coming. So 6 and 8 cores in a laptop supposedly. Their power draw is getting about right for it. Through they will likely be desktop replacement monster laptops.

@anon85933304. HHIIIOOOOHHHH. FX6100 checking in. Yeah I could have gotten better, I was new to building PCs, but here I am years later still playing AAA game acceptably with a 290 and that old CPU. Benchmarks tell a story that is rarely seen in the real world of the user experience and "feels" just numbers that mean nothing if the PC still works to your liking. And it does. Better would, and will be, nice but I have no complaints.

1 Like

Well thats exally a pretty interesting assumption.
Maybe they will also get a 6 core part to compete with Ryzen 5 who knows?
The only problem with that would be pricing, since they just arround the corner to launch the 7800X 6 core 12 Threads Skylake X part on the X299 platform.
I´m not sure how well that chip is going to stack up against the 1600X.
But according to pricing the 7800X is still going to be $350,- or so, which is were the 1700X sits atm.
The other problem with bringing 8C/16T chips to mainstream on Coffelake,
would be the pricing of those chips aswell.
Allthough if AMD only lowers their prices on the 1800X down to $450,- as it stands.
Then that gives intel eventually some room to breath.

1 Like

I thought about this and I don't think it will be more than 6 cores. If they go any higher, they have to raise the price, which would make it less attractive compared to the 1700, or otherwise they compromise their new X299 line-up that will then be just two months old. I can imagine that it will be similar to the 7800X but only 16 lanes and a bit cheaper around $330, so it still fits with the low-end Skylake-X chips.

1 Like

Thats the problem intel has right now. they've painted themselves into a corner where they cant release a competing product because it will canabize there other products.

3 Likes

How did Nvidia enthusiasts get fucked? I loved my 1080, and the upgrade to the 1080ti for me was only $50 thanks to EVGA's awesome customer service?

But yeah. Every year is newer and bigger and better stuff.

1 Like

I am surprised that this close to launch they have not yet floated some prices.
More from the rumor mill. Not even sure what socket yet

1 Like

Wouldn't be surprised if there'll be a core jump on the range. Since they've got the core i9s now, 6 core i7s and i5s wouldn't be unreasonable especially since they still have IPC on their side.

Quad core i3s maybe? If they can get good price to performance on the lower end, they might have a good chance at staying relevant /s

2 Likes

I could imagine that too. So basically 6C/12T Core i7s and 6C/6T Core i5s and 4C/4T Core i3s.

1 Like

Lower cpu freqs are only an issue if you have a graphics card that can use all the cpu power for gaming. Take an I7 running at 4.5ghz, put a gtx 1060 or rx 580 in it and the cpu is not what is limiting your fps. With 1050's 1060's 560's 570's and 580's as the gpu's going into the mainstream gaming laptop, not the monster 17" desktop replacements but, if you put a ryzen 1400 or 1600 in that laptop running at 3.5ghz you still wont use all the cpu power available before the gpu is limiting itself either because of heat or just being out of power. Intel can run at 4.5ghz all day long but it doesn't do you any good in gaming unless you are running a 1070 or above.

I have an i5 3470k clocked at 3ghz on purpose, with my rx 480 at 1080p, the only time i even get above 30% cpu usage is in city skylines and then my rx runs out of fps before my i5 is at 75% at 3ghz.

2 Likes