Coffee Lake nothing more than Kaby / Skylake?

So it already seems that Coffee Lake has a low likelihood of having major speed advantages, adding on top of that that it doesn’t have any real product sold outside of some OEM machines and some 30 odd chips in the UK.

I’m trying to figure out if coffee lake is even real at this point, or if its just a rebrand with some software tricks.

Thoughts?

Intel has been releasing minor updates with each generation with minor improvements over the previous release. What bothers me more is Intel’s apparent need to change the socket so frequently since its not clear to me that it is really needed or couldn’t have been worked around. It almost seems as a way to force the sale of motherboard chip-sets.

For me, the biggest improvement for Coffee Lake is more cores for your money. I really don’t care if the cores are essentially identical to Kaby Lake, we get more value for our money this generation. What’s to complain about that?

As for All Core enhancements, those are usually added features of high end motherboard (ASUS is known for this). This has nothing to do with Intel as far as I can tell. Turning off the feature returns the chip to using turbo boost as it normally would. Put the chip in a motherboard without multi-core enhancement and it will turbo normally so I’m not sure what the point is in the video.

If anything, complain to ASUS that they do a sort of overclock on the CPU out of the box without informing the consumer of this… but I’m not sure its fair to blame Intel for this.

1 Like

How funny is it that Fanboys like the guy that did that video are complaining about Intel releasing a product that gives you 2 more cores than the last generation at every price point, but doesn’t complain about idk AMD raising tdp and re-releasing the RX 400 series as the RX 500 series or maybe when AMD re-released the R9 200 series as the R9 300 series.

Adored is as fanboy, has been a fanboy, and seemingly continues to be.

Low likelihood of having major speed advantages? Advantages over what? It kicks the shit out of Intel’s prior mainstream chips and it also leads the pack in terms of single thread. A Ryzen 8 core is going to have higher multithreaded performance, but compared to everything intel has prior released on the mainstream platform, coffee lake is ACTUALLY better. By like 50%. Bcus 50% moar corez = moar better.

I mean, its not like people didn’t actually buy some when it launched, and its not like sites like B&H have pre-orders up or anything because they have incoming stock.

People definitely did buy them, and can order them, so yeah its real.

It’s reusing an architecture, but adding more cores at every price point. 7700k was a rebrand, because it was the same thing as the 6700k, but with a couple hundred megahertz clock and a different name. Coffee lake isn’t a rebrand, because you actually substantially more, at the same tier of product.

Totally agree. I’m not sure why anyone would not want Coffee Lake to exist. More cores for the same price they were charging. I find it strange that CPU and GPU manufacturers get so much flak for making minor improvements and selling it as a new product. The people that need the bleeding edge will buy it for the slight performance boost. Everyone else gets deals on the product it replaced. Car companies and cell phone companies do this every single year and few people say they shouldn’t. I personally just like to see Intel try again, like domestic car companies in the US finally had to try when imports were eating their lunch with better products years after year. I’m personally interested in seeing how AMD impacts the server CPU market. Mainstream consumers think Intel has been ripping them off? Jump into the confusing and overpriced Xeon line. Glad to see EYPC shake things up a bit there.

1 Like

Some clock for clock benchmarks would be nice. Even having 4 core Kaby/Skylake benchmarked against 6 core Coffee Lake would be very useful. If at the same clock, the results are about 2/3 between the two series, it means all the performance comes from the additional cores.
With the benchmark data from the video, I could make some assumptions, with the confidence beeing about 0%. (in other words, the data is worthless. Too much motherboard auto-overclocking.)

As for the TDP numbers from Intel: Also worthless
When the CPU gets auto-overclocked, waste heat will stretch from here to the moon in variability.
And when the TDP is not fucked with by the mainboard, then it does not match the actuall TDP.
Source

Last thought: The i5 8400 will NOT reach 3.8 on any Intel-equivalent B350 motherboard. You will need a Z370 motherboard to get that chip to boost beyond 3GHz. And you can not overclock that chip! Because Intel decided you will not need to overclock!

The thing that gets me is that the 6 core coffee parts are doing worse than the 4 core kaby parts, and even some of the sky parts… I find this weird. Makes me wonder how long Intel has done rebrands and half assed refreshes for.

1 Like

I am sure they are incrementally improving their products over time. Fixing bugs and the like.
Might as well put out a new line every x months with what ever they have working great in the lab at the time. It is a bit much to expect everyone to buy new CPU+RAM+motherboard every 6 months, but at least they are there for those who do need new gear.

If it was easy at this stage to add a bunch new performance, they would have done it. I wonder if we are getting close to the ultimate stone wall in processor design, the speed of information.