[Codename: StuG] Long-awaited shoebox - R5 1600 & Vega56

Hey everyone on L1T,

Over the past 2 years I have been planning on building a new pc with the aim of gaming and anything that might interest me in the future as a linux user and, someone generally interested in this curious world of new technology, including learning to code etcetera. The main reason I have waited so long is due to me insisting on building it on an AMD Zen platform, which seems to have turned out pretty well for me now that Ryzen have shown it’s best mid-range CPU (for gaming?).

The games that I see myself playing in the future are, really anything linux compatible, including Kerbal Space Program, F1 2017, Mad Max, War Thunder and source games; these will hopefully be played at the highest settings at 1080p, which is my current setup with enough FPS to have an excellent freesync experience when I get my hands on a freesync korean monitor.

The main query is about the CPU, wether or not it will be a bottle-neck in high stress workloads like video rendering, basic neural nets or other things that I am overlooking?

>Part List<

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($278.00 @ Centre Com)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($179.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($249.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Video Card: *Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8GB Video Card ($645.00 @ Centre Com)
Case: Fractal Design - Core 500 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($89.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Power Supply: Fractal Design - Integra M 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($110.99 @ Mwave Australia)
Other: P&H ($97.72)
Total: $1648.71
Postage and handling is listed as an item because PCPP doesnt calculate it for Australia.
Generated by PCPartPicker (edited by gintheturtle) 2017-11-13 19:41 AEDT+1100

Thanks for every one that left me their two cents,

gin

If you can squeeze out some dollars (or rob a homeless person) I’d suggest getting some 3200 sticks instead of 2400 (if not that’s fine too though).
As mentioned basically everywhere Ryzen profits from memory speeds.

Also TIL that F1 is native Linux o_O

Change part list URL to link from Permalink to the version on my PCPP profile.

I was planning on increasing the speed of the memory by loosening the CAS latency, to maybe 3000 or so.

They used the same company as Mad Max and XCOM 2 to port/develop it for linux.

1 Like

Yeah just saw it on the steam page. Feral Interactive being at work again :slight_smile:

I second going for a higher rated kit. Even 2666MHz. Timings help Ryzen performance as well, it’s not just one or the other. Otherwise looks like a solid build! A friend of mine is running that board with a 1700 and has had zero issues.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help guys, I found a G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3000 for $215.99.
So thats going to be my build for now so I will be starting a build log when all the parts arrive.

gin

I will be doing a build log in a couple of days since that is when a majority of the parts will arrive. The main difference is in the GPU, which was changed to a Gigabyte R9 Fury Windforce which was $400 AUD second hand off eBay. Since will never practically use 8GB of VRAM on my current 1080p monitor, I do not consider it a massive loss. I will link to the build log from here if you’re interested.

Umm, thats quite a switch… the Vega56 has not only twice the memory, its got 50% more transistors overall, higher factory clock-speed and a lower TDP… all thanks to the fact its a 14nm process not 28nm. This all translates to about a 25-33% increase in factory performance depending on your games (for a $400usd MSRP, so only your local retailer markup over what you paid for a used card without warranty). It will also give you more more headroom for a user OC than the fury if you have the cooling to suit… especially if your willing ot flash a vega64 bios for more power limit.

Vega 56 was really overkill for what I was going to use the card for, especially on a 1080p monitor. Also we are talking in Australian dollar, as far as the MSRP of Vega 56 I am only seeing them for about $699 AUD.
Besides the system is already assembled right next to me. (Parts came early!!!)

Well what happened to the build log?

At least photos? :wink:

I have just cleaned up cables and put in new fans but Im not really in a place to do anything at the moment. I will do one when I play around with the 5050 RGB LED header, storage or fixing the wifi.