Cloudflare "Argo" Tunnel

Does anyone here use this product from Cloudflare? I have been using a VPS with wireguard tunnel back to my home network with Nginx to proxy the connections. Was thinking of switching over to the cloudflare offering but not sure if it would give me the same level of protection that my current setup does. With cloudflare’s tunnels it doesn’t seem to have the same level of reverse proxy control like Nginx does.

I am using

but only for dns…

I use it with all my services, you can even setup an 2fa so only you or allowed Email/phone# etc can Access your Service.

You can find those settings under Acces → Aplikation

an example will be emulatorjs.domrockt.com <------ 2fa secured, my emulator server for Hotels and vacations.

Iam super happy with the Tunnel.

1 Like

That’s so cool! Any guides for beginners?

I use cloudflared as a low effort way to expose HTTP services.

If you need more control, you can always use Cloudflare Page/Transform Rules or point the endpoint to your own nginx.

If I point cloudflared at my internal nginx server will it act as a regular tunnel back home? Would all of my sub domain rules point only at the same internal IP address as the reverse proxy?

Yes, you can tunnel the traffic to your home. No static IP / port forwarding needed.

You can split traffic by host and path prefix. Example:
example.com/blog/* → localhost:8000
example.com/* → localhost:8001 (this could be your nginx)
nextcloud.example.com → localhost:8002
gitea.example.com → localhost:8003

I recommend you use docker for everything.

1 Like

I’ll give it a try then. I have everything all setup and working in a WireGuard config through an oracle VPS but wanted to try and slim that down as I’ve had issues with the VPS over the last year.