Cloud style solution for small business

So my dad don't like the actual workflow they have. In short, my mom and my dad have each their own pc, and if my dad had worked on a document, he has to transfer it manually on the other pc to keep everything up to date.

So I'm looking for a way to make a cloud solution where the two pcs and their documents are always synced, but I don't know what solution would be best.

Requirements:

• Ease of use (I will not be in the house anymore by September, so I need something reliable and that's easy to use. They're not tech savvy. They should not have to think about it.)
  • Incorporate well into Windows 10 (both PCs have Windows 10 Pro, so if there would be a way that the pictures are at the same location as the picture folder of Windows, it would be great. A solution that offers the less amount of change possible in the workflow and work space)
  • Automatic behavior (as soon as it's connected to any kind of internet, it syncs automatically. They should never have to think about it)

Bonus:

• Backup solution (I actually use for my mom PC Backvp 2 which save on another ssd (we have a long time history of bad experiences with HDDs))

So what would be best in that case? Is it even possible to have such a dumb down solution? Internet is not a problem as we have unlimited data and 250 Mbps up and down.

Are you against a home server running a samba share?
Do they only work from home or are they on the move constantly and working from outside the home?

Ya well my idea was to get a home server that host the files. One of the PC is always at home, while the other is moving constantly. But I don't know anything about samba. Would it allow to reach my goal of a easy solution?

it could with a vpn but then that is another layer of complexity. I hate to say it but maybe google drive or something and they both edit from those files and not locally.

Na a google drive would be worst. It would add a layer of complexity and would be more inefficient than there actual workflow. They work with a lot of word, excel with macros and active pdf documents, absolutely need the Microsoft office suite and adobe software. I'm looking for a solution that would appear as if the files were local, but with behind the server that is managing the sync and the backup without there intervention (if that's even possible).

At least we have a fix IP address with the ISP so i don't need to get a web domain.

In short, I would need an apple cloud style solution, where every documents are synced up across every devices, but without having to switch to apple products.

Do you want point and click setup or how deep we want to go?

Small form factor PC with dropbox/amazon/et c on it. Install resilio sync on both workstations to backup to a folder on the small form factor PC that is synced to dropbox/amazon/etc.

Or just use dropbox.

1 Like

How about a little bash script to compare contents of two given directories, then upload from one to the other.

More point and click as if there is any issue, non-tech people would be able to solve the issue easily.

I've already use BitTorrent sync personally and I don't think it would work. Plus how the file syncing is handled might cause some issues for them to use. And a dropbox solution, even if they already dropbox from time to time, will be against the idea of a seamless solution into Windows. And I can handle the creation of a local cloud. It's how to ensure that all the files get synced seamlessly.

I don't have any knowledge about bash. Plus if there is a issue it would be difficult to be address by my parents

maybe look into this

That's what both Google drive and dropbox do. I'm confused as to why you think these wouldn't work. Both can hook into windows and act just like a file system, that seems to be exactly what your asking for. They are probably the easiest and cheapest solutions.

Alternatively would could get a cheap windows server box and set up file sharing from that, it'll give them more options but it is a little more involved.

1 Like

Like everyone is saying I think something like Dropbox would be perfect, it manages the share for you, it would appear as a folder on both machines, it would manage the sync etc. Don't oven engineer a solution, especially if it's for a business. Time is money, do you want to be 24/7 on call if there is ever a problem?

2 Likes

I'm amazed it hasn't been mentioned yet... NextCloud (or OwnCloud)?

Doesn't really get easier once it's set up

They have an app you can get like DropBox/GDrive etc. You can add those folders to Windows' Libraries. You can also use WebDAV.

Syncs automatically once logged in.

I think you can set up external mirroring somehow, but even if you can't through NextCloud you can do it on an OS level.

You can mount a google drive with their software (or WebDAV, I think?)
/edit
Just searched a bit, and WebDAV doesn't seem to be a thing for Google Drive (neither for DropBox).

1 Like

I didn't know it had this.

You need to enable it in the settings. I think it's off by default. There were some issues with WebDAV not working on Windows, on some systems you need to set a registry entry (or MS KB installation, don't remember), but there's a tutorial on the OwnCloud help for that. I know because I had that issue :smiley: And to this day I don't know why, but after the fix it worked flawless.

/edit: OwnCloud - NextCloud (same page really)

Upside of WebDAV: There's a native implementation for Windows (and Linux/Mac).
Downside of WebDAV: Once you're offline (dead zone, airplane, whatever) you can't access your files. Unless you do what a sane person does... Always have the working files local and just backup remotely (cause, you know, working on a 100MB file on the interwebs is kinda cumbersome).

1 Like