[CLOSED WAIT FOR NEXT MONTH]1 MONTH "Just do it" challenge/initiative for the members of the community

Oh sweet. I was actually recently thinking about making sort of ambient lights above the windows in my house, hopefuly others and I can learn from this. You are on comrade :D

I hope so! It's been done before but I thought it was pretty cool. After I set it up with the lights i'm going to turn it into a NAS for storage.

I'll do a video on the whole process though so you guys can see the entirety of the project haha

2 Likes

Is this like the movie yesman?

If you want it to be then sure.

So raspberry pi has been acquired - bought off a friend for 50 bucks. Got the SD card formatted, raspbian installed....... and then I can't power on because I don't have a US-NZD power adapter. KHANNNNNN

WHAT? That is too expensive man! Or do you mean Canadian Rupies?

50 New Zealand dollars- which is a huge steal. I got the raspberry pi 2 (I know the third one is out but oh well) canakit. So i've got the case, 8gb sd card, wifi adapter etc. Brand new in NZ they go for 130 dollars so not too bad imo!

Don't worry about RPi3. It could come with some issues since it's 64 bit now and just got released.

Oh also I have a youtube channel where the vid will eventually be going up - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7uHiilTRCoPg5wjDSb3F1g not sure if this counts for the creative month but hey worth mentioning.

I haven't actually done much research at all into the pi2. All i know is it's an arm processor, assuming 32 bit prior? From what i've researched tonight the resources and documentation for the pi is pretty outstanding. For the curious: https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/physical-computing-guide/

I will add it regardless. Thanks again.

1 Like

Not sure if it is blog worthy, but I have a Quake server setup (using a linux game server manager, so it's legit lol). It isn't showing up in the server browser, but you can go to console, and enter /connect 104.238.129.150:27960.

I'm a huge n00b in that this is the first game server I've ever done, and the scripts did most of the work. Also, on my connection I'm getting "connection interrupted" flashing on my screen. Not sure if that's because I'm on wireless or what. The server is a Vultr.com VPS set in New York, which is good for anyone living in NY and it is somewhere in between California where I am, and our friends across the pond. We'll have to have a few test runs to stress test it.

Thank you kind sir.

Nessus is a software vulnerability scanner. You can point it to IP ranges and you can give the scanner credentials to the machines and then it can do in-depth analysis of how secure the software is. Once the scan is completed it will show you a list of vulnerabilities (SVE vulnerabilities) ranging from low - critical in severity. It also provides you with a list of patches that you need to apply to resolve all the vulnerabilities. It is very useful to show clients how secure their network and machines are.

The results can be exported to a .nessus file. One of the reports that I make for the clients is a patch recommendation report. This report is done because companies are lazy and they won't do much to improve their security. Even big financial companies take long to do their patches... In this report one chooses around 5 top patches to apply. The generator I want to write will just speed up the report process. You select the 5 patches you want to be in the report and then the program will generate all the necessary data that is unique to that patch, eg. how many hosts has to be patched or how many vulnerabilities the patch will solve. Those are the biggest pain to go through a few separate pages of data. Can't wait to have it take up less time.

4 Likes

I can relate to this in a big way!! If I wasn't so embarrassed I would post a pic of my garage!!

I will be making a blog and a github page shortly for this project. I will share the links to them when I have it sorted out :)

1 Like

Lol, garage. I have one of those, I think there is a car in there. Next month, one mess at a time.

1 Like

well since i code websites, what about new website for tek? Main site is kinda broken and responsive doesnt really work as it should, forum is awesome tho :)

but idk... The Division this tuesday.. :D

I don't know about a new website for teksyndicate. Wendell's interns aren't going to be happy about that.

well idk then, im doing some "bootstrap" like stuff, but im already developing it for a month, so it wouldnt be "1 month"

it would be just "front-end" html/less maybe some JS

Omg. Literally going through bootsrtap right now. Started learning it recently. Either way, you should do it. That way we can compare what we are missing out on. Link your github or anything else that you would like. I could definetly learn some stuff if you open source it.