Clone an SSD

Terve!
I imagine there’s a pretty straight forward answer to this, so here it goes:
At the moment I’m trying to clong a 120GB M.2 SSD to a 1TB Samsung M.2 SSD the only catch is that I can’t install the second SSD in the PC that runs with the 120GB one (because it’s a shitty prebuild).
Can you recommend me a program that clones these drives?
I tried:
-Samsung Migrate Software (requires to run the 120GB Drive as a boot drive)
-EaseUs Partition master (free version, didn’t clone the drive propperly)
-didn’t try DiscDirect on Linux, because I’m not experienced with it and scared to overwrite all the configuration of the PC.
Thanks in advance.
Sayonara!

• Obtain an iso image from the sysrescuecd.org site
  • Create a bootable media (dvd, cdrom,usb stick) with this image as per the instructions on the site
  • Boot your PC from said media. Make sure you only have the SATA and NVMe drives connected to the system, plus obviously any optical readers (dvd,cdrom) for the OS.
  • In the boot menu, select the graphical environment option, then boot
  • After booting, the system presents you a terminal. Be aware this is a dangerous place. Do NOT experiment here!
  • In the menu is the tool Gparted, start this.
  • In Gparted, the top right has a drop-down menu for your disks. Pay particular attention to the path given for each disk (the part starting with /dev/)
  • Assuming your boot-disk is /dev/sda and the NVMe drive is /dev/nvme you need to issue this command in the terminal
    ddrescue -d -b=4k /dev/sda /dev/nvme
    There is more on ddrescue this page: ddrescue Man Page - Linux - SS64.com
  • Let it finish, this takes time!
  • When done, remove boot media, reboot. Disconnect SATA drive to force booting from the NVMe drive.

Done.

You should be able to grow the partition(s) with the normal Win-OS partition tools to fill your drive.

1 Like

https://clonezilla.org/

It will guide you through the whole process. You can clone to an image on a portable HD and then extract that image and write it to the new drive.

Make sure you test the image after making the copy. If you can install both, it can do a direct drive to drive copy. I have used this to go HDD to SSD, SSD to NVME, and NVME to NVME in the past without issues.

2 Likes

Hello there.
I know it’s been a while, but I’ve been a bit busy. Now I finally had the time to look into Clonezilla. It seems easy enough, but it doesn’t work for me.
When I start the process (disk to disk, beginner mode, 240GB SSD to 1TB SSD) I get a few error messages and it doesn’t copy anything. I tried an other drive (an old HDD), a different USB drive and a different port.
The error message says that “the drive contains MBR and GPT partitions and it might confuse clonezilla”. After that there’s a short message stating that “the directory for this inputted image name does NOT exist: /tmp/ocs_onthefly_src.ubCLLj/d2d-pseudo”
and that the program was terminated.
I tested it with a fresh installation of Windows 10 on an other machine and it seems to work just fine.
Since this is just a test run, it doesn’t matter at all, but in case I run into it when I try and do the actual thing: is there a known workaround to this?
Thank you in advance.
Sayonara!