Clean install of win 10 oem on ssd problems

I assume thats the problem, and possibly the only way out is cloning the hdd to ssd. But I was really hoping there was some other way to fix it.

Would never ever ever ever had occured to me. It's just as weird as if always online DRM could somehow in some implausible manner reward the user experience for those who crack their software, and punish the user experience for those who don't. Could have been a Twilight Zone episode :) .

1 Like

I understand to some degree but world has gone crazy and it could end stupid.

1 Like

I did contact microsoft support, they have told me to contact samsung and its their problem and they should provide me with a legal copy of win8 dvd...
I contacted samsung and they said they could not send me dvd... but if I paid like 20 dollars and took the laptop to a samsung service, they could install windows 8 again on my new hdd...
I asked them why I have to pay again for something I already paid for.. and they said I could make a legal complaint if I want and they can not help...
but to be fair, the guy I talked was really helpful and kind, just both companies are...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

1 Like

Pity.

I have little means to help you, but after talking to support I hope this might lift your spirits a little (with subtitles in English):

1 Like

Thank you so much !!! Didnt know this existed :)))

I haven't read all the replies but the version of windows 10 has to be the same version type as you had with your key. I would imagine that is the main problem if you didn't have OEM key then OEM won't accept it.

1 Like

Hahh, thank you !!! Amazing, and very interesting to see how polite security is in Belgium . Most customer services are seriously bad where I live too(Turkey) (and I can say its horrible in Ukraine too).

You have a couple of options. You can revert ten back to 8.1 and get the product key and then create install media from your existing install or you can revert back to 8.1 get the product key and download a fresh install media for 8.1. Easy to forgot not everyone knows about this stuff. My apologies .

1 Like

I used the same usb, when I upgraded from win 8, on my old hdd. So I dont think thats the problem, but you are right, and thank you for pointing that out.

Thanks for the idea I really want to try that too, but weather it works or not I will sell this laptop and get a macbook for gf in the first chance I have.

Could be done with this issue in short order? Just remember to upgrade to 10 through windows then get the new key after updating and make a new usb installer for clean installing on your laptop.

1 Like

no explain thats its an activation issue i would perhaps suggest that a windows update deactivated your windows and your old windows 8 key was "key here" now that you reinstalled windows to "fix" the update issue its still not activating, can they please explain why your windows activation stopped working suddenly due to an "update"

microsoft will remote into your PC and override the activation from my observations of them spending 3 hours remote supporting someone whose PC deactivated as part of the recent update (same issue no key was stuck to the case on an OEM dell microsoft tried to say "not our problem" until they were told it was there software that broke it)...

1 Like

Official Method: The OS is attached to your motherboard. In the event of a hardware failure or upgrade MS should re-activate your key.

Alternative Method: Re-install old HDD, roll back to Windows 8.1 (this feature is available for the first month or so after the Windows 10 upgrade), create USB bootable recovery media (this is what Samsung was trying to charge you $20 for). Re-install the SSD, install Windows 8 via the recovery media, go through the Windows 10 upgrade process.

Alternative Method 2: Clone HDD to SSD. This will probably require paid for software.

If you need any further assistance regarding any of the above, just ask, and I will try to elaborate and point you in the right direction.

1 Like

Thank you very much, all, for the help. I honestly thought there was no way this could be fixed without cloning the hdd, but managed to do it following the suggestions. I did make a bootable usb of win 8.1, using the link Freaksmacker gave.

Freaksmacker
   http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media
   http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

when installing the win 8.1, it automatically activated, and then I upgraded it to win 10, without any issues.

1 Like

Great to hear, ItsaDamnFineNick.

1 Like