Classical Music recommendations?

Damn, I started rummaging through my Chopin but you'd beaten me to it.

1 Like

I used to annoy the hell out of my ex who was a classically trained pianist who loved Beethoven and other composers from that time because I would play Dvorak, Ingram Marshall, and Alexander Scriabin. For some reason I dig the modern composers rather than the old ones. I don't mind listening to Chopin, though, but I like the more moodier pieces, especially when I am writing. She thought it sounded horrible. I just told her Classical had to go somewhere. I think my favorite classical piece is Scheherazade by Rimsky-Korsakov. I actually named my rig Scheherazade.

1 Like

Sibelius has good stuff as well :P First, here's the war horse, my personal favourite (duh) :D I listen to it occasionally, each independence day of course but when I do I play it multiple times.. Always gives me to goose bumps.

Finlandia Op. 26
Section from Wikipedia so the imagery in the video doesn't confuse you, it's not about seasons or anything like that.. :D

Most of the piece is taken up with rousing and turbulent music, evoking the national struggle of the Finnish people. Towards the end, a calm comes over the orchestra, and the serenely melodic Finlandia Hymn is heard.

Jukka-Pekka Saraste/Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra + Sibelius Academy doing the hymn part. English translation.

@Logan have you heard that^?

I like these also
Valse Triste Op. 44 - Alfred Scholz/London Festival Orchestra

Karelia Suite Op. 11 - Vladimir Ashkenazy/Philharmonia Orchestra

1 Like

Yeah, Sibelius is awesome.