Cinnamint -> Ubuntu | Will Everyone Suffer?

So this is totally hypothetical, but there's this little demon in the back of my mind just poking at me, so the least I'll do is ask. Our 'home' computer (which is just what we call the shared computer in our living room) is running Linux Mint Cinnamon (Cinnamint) and I just have this urge to throw a wrench in it all. So I considered popping Ubuntu onto the system, configuring it all and moving the launcher to the bottom while I'm at it. Would it be completely insufferable based on the differences between the two (more of the DE than the OS)? Opinions?

I assume it depends on what your are doing on the machine. Everyday tasks (browsing the web, checking E-Mails) will be just as easy. If I am not mistaken Mint and Ubuntu even use the same package Manager (apt-get?) so installing software will also work just as it has befor. So it reallly depends on what you are trying to achieve.

I would personally say: Go for it! You can't really break stuff to the level that it cannot be fixed again and if something breaks we are here to help.

Ubuntu is a superb distro for people getting into Linux. Just go check it out, play around withit!

1 Like

I mean, mint and ubuntu are essentially interchangeable once you break them in, so if you can stand using one, chances are the other won't kill you.

1 Like

You can always install cinnamon on Ubuntu if that is your problem....But they are basically identical then...Most Mint packages are the actual Ubuntu LTS packages. Why do you want to do the shift btw since you like cinnamon?

1 Like

Linux mint is basicly based on Ubuntu, so they basicly share the largely the same packages.
However Linux mint also has their own designed X apps, those seem to work better with their own developed DE Cinnamon.
But Linux mint also comes with other desktop envoirements like XFCE and Mate.
In the end its all a matter of personal preference on which DE you like better.
If you like Unity then sure you could give Ubuntu a try.

I could recommend to install Virtualbox.
Then install Ubuntu in a virtual machine, then play arround with it.
To see if you really like it.
Unity in general is allot diffrent then Cinnamon.

4 Likes

May I ask, why?

1 Like

So just keep the old one and boot the new one off a usb or whatever. Shit hitting the fan can be fun...

I guess we all need a bit of entropy in our lives when everything seems to be in order...

2 Likes

Dude, I understand that totally. I'm addicted to installing linux. Nuke, pave, repeat.

1 Like

Perhaps, and don't take this the wrong way, you need something to do with GNU/Linux? :-) Why not contribute to your favorite distro, or DE?

I think people, in general, cannot be in peace unless they have something to bitch about. You have a stable, reliable environment, so you mess with it until it gets all fucked up... and then,"Why do things always go wrong? I am tired of fixing other's screw ups!"

Ahh yes, the human condition. Welcome to the world of people hanging out under the bridge.

I get it. I would like to contribute. I'm working on learning to code so I can help fix bugs. I think part of why I end up installing so much is that I keep getting stuff set up, then don't really know what I want to do with it, then I get restless and try something new.

Sure...but that mentality does create progress. Destroying stuff and having more subjects to bitch about is a great way to learn new things and how things you already have are made...No rest for the wicked...And most creative minds are wicked...

2 Likes

Provided they are not the same things, all of them. Otherwise, you are doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. And that is the definition of insanity.

Also, you need to take into consideration the magnitude of what you learn and compare it to the effort involved in the activity. Merely finding out that there is different way to partition your hard disk in some distribution by installing and removing a dozen and half distributions isn't exactly what I would call "learning" or "discovering" something new.

Agreed!

Things have changed. I've fed my innermost desire to spawn chaos and confusion. Ubuntu has been running on the family PC for a while and apparently, they find it more satisfactory and intuitive than Cinnamint. Furthermore, performance is considerably better with Ubuntu, and common issues with fullscreen GPU-heavy applications grinding the system to a molasses-like speed when switched to the background or interaction with DE elements during use, just aren't present anymore. The user experience as a whole is almost laughably better than Mint and I'm very pleased. I wanted to see the world burn, but instead I brought peace to the galaxy...

1 Like

Nice to see that it works out for you.
To me Unity isnt that much diffrent from Gnome3 in the way you use it.

1 Like

I've noticed that as well. Especially the software set and toolkits, it's all laid out similarly.

Yeah the only main diffrence is that Unity is basiclly more limmited in customization then Gnome3.
But there basiclly is a Unity tweak tool which gives you some more tweaking options.

1 Like

Well, my mom seems to handle Unity better than GNOME, so the trim-down is probably the main reason. That and it being fairly similar to the Windows 7 aesthetic when you throw the launcher to the bottom instead of the left.