Chrome 69 Adds Forced Login, Threatens Privacy: How to Fix it

Watch out for similar things in Chromium. As if you do have a Google API key in your Chromium version, the same thing will apply.

Latest is, Google are backing this out or otherwise changing it.

Interesting how no one on Chromium nightly thought to bring this up, which might mean it was exclusive to actual Chrome rather than Chromium.

1 Like

Wonder if one could get them with the GDPR if they go through with it. Hmm…

Probably was. Chromium doesn’t have the “Google Branding” which is what I’m assuming this slipped in as.

I’m surprised to see the level1 guys use Chrome so much as they do. Mozilla since Quantum has been Good Enough IMHO, and isn’t anywhere near as user-privacy-hostile as Chrome is.

IMO, Firefox removed WAY too many power user features to be a “consumer friendly” browser. No more individual cookie removal.

Forced login lol. Nice click bait

Okay everyone else seemed concerned. I haven’t/can’t read the article due to network… I will have trouble even posting this.

What’s the deal? Is it not forced login? Which part is click bait…

It is a forced login, and it isn’t click bait.

In Chrome browser you can choose to login to Google to sync your settings, and Google uses that to track your activity, unless you turn off web/activity tracking separately in your account. Many people don’t want to do that, and Chrome always respected that.

In the latest version, if you login to any Google site (Gmail, YouTube, etc) in Chrome it also logs the browser itself into that sync service whether you like it or not. That’s what people are complaining about, and that’s what they’re backing out.

2 Likes

Appreciate the heads up. I’m seeing this topic all over major tech websites. However, I don’t understand why this is such big news and what the fuzz is all about. This isn’t something new. Google has been doing this for ages, specially with Android and Chrome OS. There more important topics and worse things happening with Google but this is what gets the most attention? Please! In any case, if it is such a major problem and concern, show Google you don’t like it, stop using their web browser and use an alternative like Firefox or Brave instead of complaining and regurgitating the same “news” all over the place. Apply that same principle of not buying or using all other services, software, Operating Systems or products you might not like or agree with and eventually all these companies will get the hint. Until then, nothing is going to change and the situation will only get worse.

Yeah! Except it did change, and the situation is getting better, because Google is backing out the change and making it optional. But except for that one little point, great rant!

1 Like

Haha. Let’s hope the “change” is for real and does not become a feature later in time with the excuse of “we collect this additional personal information in order to protect your privacy” like Microsoft and Facebook tend to do. Either way, I stand corrected. Turns out Firefox and Chromium also share the same behavior… Tried them both a few minutes ago… That’s it, I’m not using any electronic devices anymore! LOL!

1 Like

Nope. It logges you into your account. It does t sync anything unless you’ve set it up to do so.

2 Likes

Right, it logs into that sync service but doesn’t actually sync your browser history until you turn that on. I see reading back through my post I was unclear there.

2 Likes

enter waterfox

1 Like

How is it different from Firefox?

Waterfox removes the media DRM stuff so Netflix doesn’t work, all Mozilla’s branding and their sync service, and supports XUL extensions. It’s kinda like Chromium on the Chrome side. Back in the day it used to be faster too, but that is no longer really a thing.

1 Like

There privacy policy suggests they still have the sync service along with collecting browser ‘technical data’ data, Google collects stuff, etc.

So the contention is weather it also activates all of those when it logs you in or if they are still separate.

I think the bigger point of contention is that this was an unannounced policy change that the chrome developers have no good “non-dodgy-data-thieving-pricks” explanation for.

Google are a multi-billion-dollars spyware company that monetizes their customer’s data. The last thing they should be given is the benefit of the doubt in situations like this.

2 Likes