Chris Hook Joins Intel: AMD Poaching in Full Swing?

I feel like we’re entering a bizarro land. Intel is seemingly doing their best to pull an AMD on AMD with ex-AMD employees?

Article includes his statement (this was just the first one I grabbed): https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-gpu-chris-hook-gaming,36975.html

1 Like

AMD Marketing director?

hahahaha good luck. Didn’t they get rid of him because he was trying to boss reviewers around too much or was that something separate?

1 Like

Well it was sure something. The second-most-recent Ask GN (Gamers Nexus) video mentioned that pretty much all the AMD marketing staff they deal with has flipped.

It’s very curious though, either Intel is poaching AMD’s sloughed-off employees, or poaching them outright. Keller wouldn’t really count in this regard of course.

The next question would be why they want AMD’s leavings if so?

1 Like

Probablly because intel pays better?

1 Like

That doesn’t explain why Intel wants them though.

Probably shows ability in management and planning.

Thought this was something that could make a difference then saw the word marketing.

Meh. Next. :smiley:

Well if he’s been let go because his dealings with reviewers sucked, maybe it’ll make Intel GPU’s unsellable? :joy:

2 Likes

Well experience in the field sells.

Maybe Raja just wanted his little pal to come over, and Intel was fool enough to go along with it.

2 Likes

There’s not exactly a ton of companies that do what Intel and AMD do. Employees with a lot of experience in that field are few and far between.

Yup, and given intel seems to be floundering from failure to failure at the moment, sounds like they need some new blood.

Since the Core i series was released they’ve been making minor tweaks. They’ve been stuck on 14nm forever. Their 10nm process has been delayed.

They’re not yet in deep shit, but the writing is on the wall at this stage (i.e., they need to act now to fix things before it is too late); AMD is already on 12nm (which to be fair may be roughly on par with intel 14nm+) and are also in the testing phases of 7nm (and so far on schedule to release enterprise 7nm parts this year - there’s been no announcement to the contrary as yet). Apple put out their A11X on 10nm about 12 months ago.

Intel’s traditional lead in fab tech is no longer a thing. This is huge. Fab advantage has been an intel inherent performance advantage for decades.

Whilst the socket 1151 chips still have an IPC advantage, as soon as intel start pushing more cores (and they will have to) they’re facing the same sort of inter-core latency problems as AMD are on their socket 2066 processors (albeit to a lesser degree, but AMD is catching up there now).

Sounds like intel have been coasting for too long (as they’ve been on easy street) and all the talent responsible for major design/fab improvements has retired or otherwise left the company.

2018-2020 is shaping up to be very interesting indeed.

2 Likes

Its all good as I see it.

Intel should come back guns blazin with product not corporate extortion to combant AMD.

As a comsumer I would be happy to upgrade to intel. I dont hate them but AMD are on track for the next 4-6 years on zen. They will need more for beyond ZEN 3.

Intel poaching top CPU designers might mean intel can make something awesome in 3-8 years.

1 Like

Yeah, this is a good thing. This is a definite sign that there is competition in the market, and intel is feeling the heat, if nothing else.

Why wouldn’t Intel want him? He has experience in the only other company that does what Intel does.

1 Like

ATi? :grin:

Isn’t that just a subsidiary of AMD?

They used to be their own company before AMD engaged in some anti-competitive practices and bought them out.

Back when AMD was kicking ass, they knew Intel was struggling in the graphics department. So as to whoop up on Intel and nVidia, they bought ATI.

1 Like

And drove it into the ground, apparently.

That’s an important part of the story. Shouldn’t leave it out. :smiley:

Sadly, yes.

But, I keep hearing there will be a comeback! Just you wait for Q1 2009!