Choosing the right language

I think this explains exceptions decently well... https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/exceptions/runtime.html
to me it would make a lot more sense to only check for exceptions that can occur. like... why do you need to check for a nullpointer if you are looking for a division by zero?

Hi,

my advise would be to have a look at go (aka golang), https://www.golang.org

Is mixture between C/C++ and python. It is strict type based language, which is easy to learn and code. One of the biggest strengths is the excellent handling of concurrency.

It produces static linked binaries out of your code within seconds, independent of the size of your project.

I started one year ago with go (before I did most stuff in Python) and I felt in love with this language. You can use it to (micro- ) services, but also for stuff you would normally use scripting languages like python or perl.

Many big projects use go like: Docker, SoundCloud, CloudFlare, SpaceX, Twitter, Twitch and many more

just my 2 cent,
Ancient

1 Like

Since Go has a GC that you can't turn off, you can't do the same kind of optimizations as is possible in C++ though.

Personally, I don't like Go since it lacks generics. Some of the workarounds I've seen feel like just one giant hack. There are other languages such as Scala, Erlang, Clojure Rust, and so on which from what I've seen have better support for concurrency.

My two cents is find out what is used out in the industry in your area. For me, it's c#, Microsoft reigns supreme in my area. I also HAVE to take java and python courses in my schooling so that's a plus.

If you're aiming for a job, picking a language which is going to land you one in your region is definitively a good idea. The only thing I'd warn against is that a lot of job opportunities don't necessarily mean interesting jobs. Lets say for example that in the region you live there's a very high demand in COBOL (which there is where I live btw). Would you want such a job? I tried COBOL and simply hated it. There's also a lot of PHP stuff but most of these jobs are boring maintenance-ish jobs on old PHP infrastructure (forget modern PHP frameworks like Laravel lol... PHP 5.1~). YMMV.

@Felixforfood Id listen to mumble here he knows what he is talking about

Greetings guys,

I program daily for work and at home for fun and I have tried a lot of different languages but still keep going back to the same one, Python. I love it. It is so easy to just whip up a prototype for things and have it working great within little time. I use it a lot for different web projects (Django) but for work we use it for some really complex system level stuff (Telephony Dialer) so it is really versatile and can get really low level when you need it.

I love it and I would recommend every programmer learns it, maybe not use it for everything but learns it.

Begon fowl python, Perl is the king of the scripting languages :P.

After thinking about it for a while, I would recommend learning one language from the functional paradigm (on the purer side of things). The reason for this is that it teaches you to think in a very different way that you're used to. These kinds of exercises are always good for developing good reasoning skills when it comes to programming. A few languages that I would recommend considering:

• Haskell/Purescript
  • Erlang
  • Clojure/Clojurescript
  • Scala
  • Scheme/Racket
  • Common Lisp
  • ML

And buy a book! Books are great for diving straight into a new language.