Choosing a new phone, in a bit of a pickle

It would be rooted and re-rom’d immediately.

I have seen all of these videos, and while valid, this was from the perspective of people who aren’t running a business off of a phone and recording video files to then directly edit. I remember complaints about the “color filter” but its just the sensor doing its job to get flat color.

Thats actually why I want it is the RED sensor, and everything else I can tweak by hand.

1 Like

Oh that makes sense, I assume you already checked the xda/lineage forums for a guide?

If you’re fine with a 3 year old sensor, it sounds like you have your mind set on the red. Not quite sure how well it aged, so if you get it let us know.

If you’re looking for something new, I’d get the xperia. Otherwise red seems like the second best option.

Nah my mind isn’t set, I’m just being realistic about what I would use the hardware for.

1 Like

Just curious what was the cell program?

You can also tweak the sony cameras with pro mode.

How much support is there for the hydrogen? Iirc due to a lackluster launch, I figure Red would have ditched it. I heard there were plans to let users attach custom lens to the phone body

Overall, i would get a popular phone from the more reputable brands. Like what other said, devices age poorly software wise and only Apple fully supports stuff for more than 5 years. The best Android has to offer is Pixel, software support-wise, the next is probably Samsung, assuming you are on the flagship line.

I would recommend phones that are generally supported by Divest OS (a more secure fork of Lineage OS). I would primarily recommend a Google Pixel+Graphene OS combo but this could be a bit more restrictive.

There is also Xiaomi but their phones that could be flashed with other OS dont support re-locking the bootloader, which could be a potential issue for your security.

I would not recommend the RED phone because since the release was a bust, software support could suffer and since it doesnt look like they did not release a lot of units, it will likely have even less volunteers in the custom ROM community. The camera could also be severely hindered by the closed source firmware/software it has, in case you found a way to flash a general AOSP image to it, meaning you wont get a good camera quality once you decide to move from their stock Android. And a good camera is probably their only real selling point.

2 Likes

Just so you know, you will never run full FOSS and you’re still stuck with base support (drivers etc) that Qualcomm or whatever SoC you go for provides in the end but 5y is not going to happen as no one will backport stuff for like ~3 years or so.

OP clearly stated what they are looking for and you are not helping.

1 Like

I have a thorough second to none experience on the six Pro

You can also install “Graphene OS” extremely secure, super f Droid friendly and has a Google play compat later

What can I say I haven’t found a con yet

What video modes does it give you

Let me check

Depends which ones your looking at

Slow Motion
Time Lapse
Normal

Each with varied resolutions from 720 to 4k and 30-120hz?

Slow motion being the exception with very very high recording rates but that is expected?

Can change microphone source as well

1 Like

The only thing I can think of that matches your requirements is this phone: Fairphone 4. I don’t think there’s much else on the market that would make you happy.

As for audio on Android just get a good app for it and you’re set. I’m using Poweramp and it allows you to set the audio engine for each output and monitor the chain.

Not my experience with the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1. It gets hot when doing heavy tasks, YES. But the Snapdragon 636 I had before did the same thing, just slightly less often. But, in day to day tasks, it barely gets warm. The only weird situation in which it gets hot like I’m playing games is during Google Duo calls.

Hmmm, shame. I like my Z3 play cause it had a lot of video modes. It let you use every mode the sensor had, and I’m kinda miffed that even LG doesn’t do that.

Its because that stuff is no longer necessary. The software does it really well. Embrace the new because the old I’m sorry to say is not coming back. Its not necessary for it to come back. Google camera software is second to none or maybe only sony

Worried about the chip itself. Accurate output etc. I am thinking about Sony and Google now.

Meh, tbh

I gave an example of how I use my phone. That could be when I poop, or the entire work day.

If there’s no headphone jack on the phone there’s no DAC to worry about. In fact, if you try to hook up a dumb USB C to headphone jack adapter, you’ll get a nice Android message that says “analog accessory not supported”. So it just comes down to the DAC you choose and the software engine to decode.

I think a Sony phone is suited for you, but you gotta go with a top of the line model else is overpriced city compared to most other 600$ or lower phones (not taking into account chinese brands like Oppo or Xiaomi and their subsidiary).

My bad, I thought I understood what you said. I did not. I have a Motorola Edge+ 2022 and it doesn’t behave like that. Even when jumping through apps for a while. Not even using the desktop mode to browse multiple tabs while messaging and listening to music/watching a video. It got a bit hot while stabilizing a 4K video in the Google Gallery, but far from being scorching hot.
Maybe it’s the Oppo skin on top of Android, can’t tell.

2 Likes

Yeah but it resamples to 48k and adds a hiss

1 Like

That’s why I was stressing the importance of a good app to play music. Poweramp allows to bypass all the resampling when going through an external DAC and let that do all the processing and output. This is valid for a phone with no headphone jack.

For one with, usually, the integrated player is good. And Sony has a good Walkman app to play music.

1 Like

gamer