Cheep "favor" not so cheep

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bLdYqk Specks here. This is the second HDD in a couple of weeks. Mother board? Power supply looks happy. Windows loads, then corrupts the Windows install. Putting together with third HDD and will see if it crashes also. Do not have spare MOBO to test. Any Ideas? Power delivery on MOBO? Worked great for 10 days or so. Windows install was very moody.

first HDD was a new HGST bare drive from amazon.
Second HDD was used WD Cavier SE (Server)?

What is the CPU? Does it have a GPU?
Do you still have a right to RMA?
The parts should be fine, I mean i have the 430W model of the same PSU, they have high review scores...
Asrock are fairly reliable brand...
It won't be something obvious...

A4 400 APU, I think I can still RMA to Amazon

Well, the best you can do is send back the board, power supply and the hard drives back... It's one of them... Explain all your problems and see what they will say.
I had an issue with an SSD, turn out it was the SSD itself, no matter it was the newest part, just unpacked, but i had to send the board, all hard drives and i just packed the entire system...
A4 4000 you mean?

You have all the drivers installed? Everything, all tools and stuff, not just what's on the disc?

How do you know its a HDD issue? Are you checking smart data on these drives?

To me this sounds like a driver issue, especially because its good for a few days then goes bad. Windows does updates and then the bugs rear their ugly heads. I would make sure you're not using the included driver CD or the ones windows might try to update with but ones from either ASRocks site or from the manufacturer of said part needing a driver.

Having said that you have given us little information about whats actually going wrong. What actually happens when the "windows install corrupts"?

EDIT: See the very first newegg review about this board. At the very bottom.

1 Like

HDD testing consitsed of confirming customer saying that windows is corupt and cant be fixed. New (used) HDD, reinstall windows. Stress test, burnin, all that good stuff. tried HDD (both) on different terminal and windows files are listed but windows cant find them, but most of the time it cant even find the drive over esata or USB . Windows CHKDSK says no errors. This time after doing a half dozen reboots here, it went home and failed to first boot. I would love to have this go away, thanks for the ideas. So the answer is that the MOBO is killing or at least forceing a reformat of the HDD due to coruption, Maybe!

maybe the sata controller on the board is bad. sounds like the most likely scenario to me

I think I fixed it, or at least made the troubleshooting obvious. Board is now dead, will not fire (two working power supplys). Going back to Newegg ASAP. That was a new failure for me. Now the CPU Should be fine?

Anyone recommend a different board from the bottom of the barrel? second RMAs for this little Gem.

I have an AMD 5350 running on an MSI board. Its solid. I hate to give out anecdotal personal experience and try to pass it off as advice but I've never had a bad ASRock board. At that price point, you could just about buy anything and have it be good or crap.

If you have a Microcenter near by you can get a 7860 with an MSI 68 board for 99 bucks, similar deal for the 8320e's.

Ryzen hype should be a boon for the used market but I have been so short on time it's not funny.

Well just thought that I would follow up on this. The ASRock Mobo was bad. Looks to me like the 24 pin is not making good contact to the board. Running stress test on new board and all looks good. Dead board packed up to go back to Newegg. I really need to stop wasting time assuming that It was me that screwed up. Again thank for the help

2 Likes