Checking out DaVinci Resolve with EposVox! | Level One Techs

this is more of a vlog -- full tutorial coming!

check out EposVox: https://www.youtube.com/user/EposVox

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/checking-out-davinci-resolve-eposvox
2 Likes

out of curiosity is the NVIdia only for h.264 only a Linux issue or were you running in to that on windows also? I know with resolve 14 I had no issues making h.264 files with my RX480.

I wonder if you could take one of those refurbished Servers (not one that’s too old of course), placed a GPU and run a budget friendly rendering machine compared to building a new one.

Not really interested enough in building such a thing and a high tier GPU like a GTX 1080/Ti maybe bottle-necked by potentially slower PCI lanes from going that route. Maybe even an RX 570 could get bottlenecked. And 2x4 Intel Xeon Cores could prove to be slower than an R5 1600 if it’s older than Sandy Bridge (which is where the cheaper servers lie).

This is very much up my alley. Shame I can’t be there in person for the testing.

Never would have thought to just use a headless Linux server as a render box for Resolve.

LTT might like a RED EPIC EPYC render server, but they’re mostly Premiere fanboys.

Edit: Saw the @eposvox BTS. Seems that X399 Designare is unused. Can I have it?

It has a 1950x in it from the fire sales , waiting on Titan ridge tb card to validate

Yeah, I was checking reports and it seems Asrock boards are compatible with Titan Ridge without UEFI modifications, but no other motherboard brand seems to be working with that card.

Since you’re doing Resolve, would be interested in Blackmagic Thunderbolt capture cards on Linux.

Titan ridge works on designare too. It’s the card not the uefi at this point. Most boards have the TB uefi module now in current bioses.

Huh, I should pick up a Designare once the SVM stuff in the new UEFIs that got screwed up gets fixed. Kinda accepted the 1920X is no longer within reach and am just gonna get a 2920X for the clock speed increase.

DaVinci Resolve worked for one project, since then, all I get is an error saying something like:

Reinstallation does not fix this, the DLL in question is present among the windows DLLs.
Either a WIn7 problem or a DaVinci problem.

Might have to make a seperate thread for this.

@wendell I am surprised you got Davinci Resolve working on Ubuntu 18.04, they only officially support CentOS. Can you go into more detail on how you got it installed on Ubuntu and have you been able to get it working on Fedora 29?

I’ve got it 99% working on fedora 29 by just installing the packages. (after negativo Nvidia drivers and Cuda were installed)

It occasionally crashes, and I can’t track down the culprit.

I’ve been using Resolve for color grading since v9. If you really want to stress your gpu performance add temporal and spatial noise reduction.

I’d highly recommend checking out Puget System’s articles on hardware recommendations for davinci resolve.

I setup a resolve database server on a simple VM while the files live on a NAS and now any edit machine on my network can run as a Resolve render machine.

Resolve also has the capability of having multiple machines on the network working on one project. So you could have one person working on a timeline while someone else is color grading or mixing audio.

The NVidia only h.264 is referencing NVENC which is the hardware encoding on the NVidia gpus. Linux is still able to encode h.264 just with software not with hardware encoding.

Requires a .NET upgrade. That’s usually what those errors mean.

I tried a lot of things, and at this point, I do not care anymore.