Check your CLDO Vddg voltage!

Specs:
3990X
Asus zenith 2 extreme alpha

Ive been struggling to figure out why my system recently kept failing hci memtest, but would always throw the same amount of errors (8). Sometimes it would get these errors under 100% coverage, sometimes it would take up to 250%. (and if I let it keep going, it would accumulate to 16 errors, 24, and so on)

I fiddled with every voltage and resistance I could, but to no avail. Then, something odd caught my eye. The default setting for cldo vddg with xmp enabled was being displayed as 1.1v as per ryzen master. I knew from research that this voltage should always be ~40-50mv lower than my soc voltage, and never higher. Since my soc voltage is displayed as 1.08v, I immediately realized that my cldo vddg was much too high, and I went into bios and lowered cldo vddg to 1.04v.

So far hci memtest has passed 1500% with no errors.

Make sure you get check that cldo voltage in ryzen master and confirm it is 40-50mv lower than displayed vsoc. If not, you can manually lower it in bios by changing vddg ccd and vddg iod. (both are component voltages of cldo vddg)

My guess as to why this is happening, the voltage mismatch resulted in a brief erroneous condition in the cpu, resulting in all 8 CCDs spitting an error each, hence 8 errors.

I took weeks to figure this out, hoping this can help somebody out there!

3 Likes

That is interesting, since the motherboard should self adjust CCD and IDO to be 40mv lower than SOC. Is there any way to check the voltages without using Ryzen Master?

Interesting, just checked my voltages in Ryzen master and I have the following voltages:

VDDCR SOC: 0.962
CLDO VDDP: 0.9002
CLDO VDDG: 0.9504

I assume these values are not good? How should I set them?

This sounds like and AGESA and BIOS bug they need to address but haven’t yet. Hence why people running XMP might be seeing instability.

You can use HWinfo64 to see the same voltages without Ryzen Master if your OS is bare metal. It might not work in a VM.

If HWinfo64 can read them, then they aren’t labelled correctly as I don’t see them there.

Untitled-2

Yeah, if you can read package power and Tdie, you’re good. But if you can’t because the specific thing for the host OS still doesn’t expose readings, then it’s not able to be read.

Well voltage figures from software readout like Ryzen Master or HW monitor etc,
don’t really mean that much to me.
Because how accurate those numbers really are, highly differs from board to board.

1 Like

I can read packge power and Tdie too on HWinfo64, just not CCD and IOD voltages, or if it reads them then the labels are all wrong.
As you can see I have some that are only labelled “VIN9” or “Temp2” and such.

Well, it shouldn’t be reading from the SuperIO chip, it should say “Enhanced” sensors as the first label.

Ok, installed Ryzen Master just to check what my voltages are:

VDDCR SOC: 1.05
CLDO VDDP: 0.9002
CLDO VDDG: 1.0979

I loled when I saw that.

Yup, .05 volts too high, and it can be responsible for instability.

Yep I’ll mess with it now, since I’m fighting instability currently :smiley:

You’ll want to modify it at the BIOS level in the AMD CBS menus and the OC settings.

Funny that VDDCR SOC shows 1.05V. Maybe that’s not the SOC voltage you can set in BIOS, as that has a different prefix. As mine is now set to 1.1xxx and HWinfo64 shows that it’s 1.09x after droop.

Hoping this reaches out to more people and can help them fix their instability!

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.