Cheapest Upgrade to this Family PC

CPU Intel Celeron G540 2.5GHz Dual-Core Processor

Motherboard MSI H61M-E33/W8 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard 

Memory Corsair 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory

Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 2GB Video Card

Power Supply Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W ATX Power Supply

This is my current family pc. I managed to sell my 550ti for $40 to my best friend.
Here's a little backstory on this pc . The system has a 256gb Sata 2 Samsung SSD and 250gb HGST HDD inside of a Sentey Mid Tower Case.

My mom is running a new business so she wants to use this pc to run pretty much email, web browsing, and Microsoft Office.

However, I also like to use this machine for gaming like CS:GO and Just Cause 2 when I am away from my main pc.

Monitor resolution is 1680 x 1050

What would be the cheapest upgrade to this system?

1) Should I go haswell Pentium or i3 with new mobo + gpu

2) stay on socket 1155 and go core i3 + gpu

3) Go and find used cpus, gpus, or motherboard?  

TL:TR: Cheapest upgrade to this family pc right now

Socket 1155 is fine, especially for what your mom wants to use it for. If I can only pick from the options above I would say 2 is the best. 1 is going to be more expensive. I honestly haven't tried buying used PC parts so I can't really offer any advice since I have no 1st hand experience with it. 

Also you could upgrade the ram to 1x8GB or 2x4GB of RAM. Its nice to have and I can't imagine going back to 4GB of RAM. 

So something like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XKd4YJ or this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZRVTmG

You could also go for something lower end than a r7 260x, it was just the first thing that came to mind

Selling the GTX 550 Ti was a mistake since it fits your gaming needs the best right now (I hate it when that happens). Anyways, I definitely agree with nahl that upgrading to 8gbs of RAM would be very beneficial to the system. Your best off keeping the LGA 1155 motherboard for budgets sake and upgrading the cpu. What is your budget?

Well I wanted to sell it to my friend but he hasnt gotten from me yet so I can just tell him I am reconsidering not selling it.

I am considering(if i get a good deal on a graphics card better than my HD 7850 on my main rig) transferring to this family pc which I know will be overkill for it. I really want to stay around the $200 mark and to be honest i think 4 gb of ram is fine on this system so just a CPU + GPU upgrade would be nice for that mark

A Intel Pentium G2030 or G2120 will run ya around $30-$50, I've bought a few used on eBay for about $40 with shipping. Far as video cards go a 260x or GTX750 (non-ti) should be available for $100 or less. This will serve your gaming needs. Neither of the cards above will out perform your hd7850.  

I just my gf a budget gaming PC similar to yours.

Pentium [email protected]

MSI H81M-E34 mobo

4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 1333mhz

EVGA GTX650ti SC 2gb

WD Blue 320gb hard drive

500 watPSU

Windows 7 64bit

She can play COD MW3, Trine 2, Warframe, and Warface at 1080p high setting no prob.

All the while only using 60-70% ram. 

How about the gtx 650 and 650ti? Are those viable options as well?

Try the R9 270