Cheapest gigabit internet speeds wirelessly

I'm getting an att fiber gigabit network for an awesome price and I'm well aware that my current usb wifi solution won't touch the full speeds offered. What would be the cheapest solution to get full or close network speeds wirelessly since ethernet cable unfortunately isn't an option in my apartment. I do have a mpcie intel A.C. wireless card but I'm not sure if an adapter for that to use in a normal Pcie 1x slot is a good way to go.

1 Like

Ac 7260 or what card? That card will cap out at 866Mbps theoretically. Realistically, 400-600Mbps is all I'd expect. Intel do make the best solutions though, and tbh if its an 7260 I'd stick with it and put it in an adapter. Something like this:

Being an intel it will only have two prongs, but that's no issue. Just leave one on the adapter empty.

Try to get a nice wireless access point or router. A cheapo router paired with a good intel mpcie AC card is going to still suck because router. Make sure you use the 5Ghz band, and make sure that you choose an uncluttered channel on the router. Theoretically 5Ghz has 100+ channels, but most router makers ship their routers all using the same ~10ish channels.

1 Like

I'm surprised you did not recommend 4x4 mumimo products. They are not the cheapest but they also are not the most expensive. For the router I would go for a ubiquiti networks unfi AP ac HD :slight_smile: and also doesn't mpcie just fit straight into the pcie x1 port anyways why buy an adapter?

And the band has a lot of channels you can use if you use dfs. However on most clients and routers that is disabled because manufacturers are too lazy

It does not.

PCIe x1 has 11 contacts, a notch, then 7 more contacts at 1mm spacing.
mPCIe has 8 contacts, a notch, then 18 contacts at 0.8mm spacing.

2 Likes

My appologies I was thinking of the interface that M.2 runs on LOL

Alright guys thank you. It is an Intel 7260. I just hope those adapter cards aren't super shoddy build quality over a card from ASUS with one built into it.

M.2 is even more complicated because different keyings mean different pins being notched out. M.2 also has a 0.5mm pin spacing, so there are many more pins in a much smaller space.

Still have to use adapters to make them fit into something else :frowning:

M.2 Guide

(From top to bottom, PCIe x1, mPCIe, M.2 M-key)