Cheapest 4K option for Non Gaming?

Huh, seems to be a real issue. In that case I change my recommendation to a 570 if possible. I have two Sapphire RX570 ITX cards running, no problems. They are very quiet in desktop / media use and powerful enough to have some fun with most games.

For me personally the low profile idea for my testsystem seems to be doneski anyway because there just aren’t any of those cards available here in Germany. (Also the pricing seems to be mental on those.)

1 Like

at this point, my priority list for my host-system card is 10 bpc support, lots of display out ports and hardware codec encode/decode for popular codecs, since using the main gpu for rendering or compute degrades the desktop experience while doing so. If there was a mobo that let you hang 4 dp outputs off an igpu that’d be closer to what I need than most things.

It’s a shame that GT620 just barely doesn’t meet your requirements. A GT710 or newer will work. Considering you already got up and running with a nVidia card, a GT710 would probably be plug and play. Anything cheap that meets your resolution requirements would be fine. Just be certain to do a search for the maximum resolution of whatever you choose before you buy.

I don’t know what kind of selling/trading sites are available to you locally, but maybe you can find someone locally that is upgrading to buy from. I’d imagine someone replacing an OEM GT710 would let it go for little money.

they’re like 35 bucks on ebay last i checked

Yes, you can get them even cheaper if you look around, I know EVGA will sell B-Stock on sale every once in a while. The OP isn’t in the US so I haven’t any clue what the market is like there, what purchasing options are available, or what kind of fees would be incurred buying outside of the country.

If there are hard lock issues with the 550, a 560 is actually worth the investment, along with a new PSU, since the one that came with the OEM Acer system might not be worth it in the long run.

Haha! I had the last days exact the same question! And i found the cheapest solution for both. Windows and Linux. New Cards. no used.

If you want to use Windows: Buy the cheapest Nvidia 1030.
If you want to Use Linux: cheapest AMD RX550.

This two cards are the cheapest new(!) GPUs that support 4k@60(!!)hz.

Used Cards gives more options. But i wanted a new card. Only for Destop use. No gaming.

Long story short: Finaly i buyed a AMD Radeon Pro WX3100. 200 Euros. Because this card let me to use upto 4 Displays at 4k@60hz.

I have already 2x 42.5" LG 4K Displays too.

2 Likes

gt 710 is 30 bucks, old stock quadros in the 4 and 500 series are like 50-80 bucks and do way more display outs.

on the amd side its the same stories with old stock firepros.

gaming cards are worse value if you just wanna drive displays

But you do still need to install drivers for those, right? Personally I would always go for out of the box supported hardware.

1 Like

depends on the card but the ootb experience with nouveau is gonna be the same on all nv cards if you wanna shift into stallman mode, and radeon works fine for driving displays if you go into the very oldest firepros available, but most of them will work fine.

but yeah obviously do some reading if you’re looking for a display only card on linux

I’m one of those people who updates everything as soon as there is an update. I don’t like to think I’m not running the latest (and presumably) best version available to me.

My integrated graphics card is one of these - https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gt-620-oem.c358

Thanks for the comments.

I actually have 3x R9 280X Sapphire cards that someone gave me. I just tried hooking one (tried all 3 actually) of them up to my system. I had to jerry rig an external power supply as my inbuilt one hasn’t enough connectors.

So with the GPU external to the desktop (using a riser cable) I got the thing spinning up but couldn’t get any output.

If I left the Nvidia card in the system the display connected to that came on. When I took the nvidia card out there was nothing.

Not sure if it’s a driver issue or what but worries me a bit that I’ll buy a new card plug it in and won’t be able to get any display because my machine has Nvidia drivers.

Hi everyone,

First of all thank you for all the comments and recommendations, you helped me out a lot.

So I decided to buy (based on budget and what was available) a 2 GB GT 710 from Gigabyte.

I also upgraded my Ram from 8GB to 16GB and I put in a Corsair RM1000 power supply someone gave me a while ago.

All I need now is the 4K TV I plan to use as my new display.

Selection_452

Hi all,

Quick update. I bought a Samsung 49" Curved Smart TV - UA49NU7300

It’s a 2018 7 Series and does 4K @ 60hz

Works awesome with Linux Mint and my new graphics card :slight_smile:

2 Likes