Cheap Custom Built Cintiq (Drawing Monitor)

I want to get into the graphic industry with a drawing tablet similar to a Wacom Cintiq where one can draw directly on the monitor. I would like some advice into building one (no kits please because they tend to have parts that are not ideal and are expensive) or a cheap alternative. I would like it to be able to display the art and detect a pen to be able to draw on it directly, be simple enough to be done by a not so tech savy person, and be under around $300. If there are any details you need to know please ask. Thank you for reading!

A windows 8 tablet with a port for additional monitors should do you justice! You can find them on sale near to $300. But if you want a 10 inch then we're talking a bit more in price. You can link the tablet to your PCs display or system similarly to the Cintiq. After that you can go ahead a find a previous generation Wacom pen (high end that's why I said previous) and use that ! 

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-connect-your-windows-8-tablet-to-a-monitor.html

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/connect-your-surface-to-a-monitor-hdtv-or-digital-.html

All you basically need is a tablet with some form of display output such as HDMI.

Have fun! :)

Incorrect. Wacom tablets have 512+ levels of preasure and other features that a windows tablet does not compete with. Now I know there are tablets like you want OP but I dont know them off the top of my head. I know of them but I dont know them.

A windows 8 tablet wont do what a wacom tablet does.

A homemade Cintiq, using no kits, simple enough for someone not tech savy and under $300?  That's a tall order my friend.  And I'm not just saying that because I'm hung over and going off of 4 hours of sleep.  This guy did it fairly cheaply:  http://www.bongofish.co.uk/wacom/wacom_pt1.html  but I believe he used kits and what not to achieve it.  Check out his guide and see if it's something you'd be willing or able to do, or google around.  There are plenty of others who have done something similar.  Honestly though, I'd suggest going in a different direction.

Instead of trying to build a monitor you can draw on, why not simply project your screen on to a tablet instead?  That way you keep the cost down while still getting the sensitivity, accuracy and flexibility of an Intuos tablet AND keep the build relatively easy to achieve for someone with little expertise.

All you'd really need is a graphics tablet, a pico projector and something to mount it over your tablet.  For the tablet, a used Intuos 4 will run you between $150 and $200 and works quite well (it's what I am currently using).  Plus it's a very dark grey color that would lend it's self well to being projected on.  For the projector, something like this would probably work:

http://www.amazon.com/AAXA-KP-101-01-Projector-Minute-Battery/dp/B005TAXDPK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1386498833&sr=8-4&keywords=pico+projector

And for around $120 it will work with your budget.  Then you just need something to mount it above the tablet.  An old desk or drafting lamp with a flexible arm would work for something on the cheap.  For something a little more stable, a cheap monitor arm would work too: 

http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Tilting-Mount-Bracket-13~30inch/dp/B005C2914C/ref=sr_1_10?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1386502396&sr=1-10

Basically any kind of frame work that you can mount the projector to in order to suspend it over your workspace.  And then it would just be a matter of getting the tablet in position and dialing in the range and focus so that it matches up with your tablet.

For accuracy sake, you may want to build a tray that your tablet can sit in snugly and then build a static frame work for the projector that is attached to the tray.  That way everything is stable and you don't run the risk of moving your tablet out of alignment with the projector.

Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't simply suggest getting a standard graphics tablet (Wacom 5/Pro medium for example runs $329 at amazon) and forgetting about trying to create a makeshift cintiq.  Drawing on a tablet while looking at a separate screen isn't that difficult to get used to.  A couple days of practice and it will be old hat.  Trust me.

Hey mate,

I've also been looking into building a DIY Cintiq lately, however I can tell you now it'll cost you between $600-900 to build one.

This website and forums are your best friend when it comes to a DIY Cintiq.
http://www.bongofish.co.uk/

The entire site is dedicated to it.

Also the http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ forums are also a great help.

Now before we begin, all Tablet PC's like the Microsoft Surface, Lenovo x230t, Fujitsu Lifebook t902, ect all use the same old Wacom digitzer technology and utilise a maximum of 256 levels of pressure sensitivity.

The Microsoft Surface which is said to boast 1024 pressure levels is nothing but a driver hack, in actuality it still uses 256 pressure levels.

In regards to the Bongofish site, everything there was made by ingenuity, not kits.
They generally suss out the parts they need to make it work, some even manage to build a screen right into the drawing surface of their graphic tablets wheras others slide it on top.

http://www.tabletmod.com/ is the one you're thinking about which requires a kit, but this is just for the housing of the device. Currently it cost $25 for the blueprints do go get it cut yourself which could cost you a few hundred, plus the other parts such as graphics tablet, monitor, cables, converters, ect...

As much as I like the idea of doing this project, I can't seem to validate the cost of the project; especially with my lacking skills.

Morso for me is the cost of importing parts internationally to Australia, it'll cost way too much after that so I'm considering to just scrap the project and just get a used Cintiq off of eBay in the future.

If you're looking for a cheap Cintiq alternative I'd recommend this to begin with if you already have a computer, LT1423 by Lenovo.
It has 256 pressure levels, powered and video via USB and is 13.3" and IPS.

Alternatively I'd have a look at companies like Monoprice and Yiynova, these all have their pro's (cheap) and cons (screen quality, customer service, jitter, accuracy, ect) in comparison to Wacom;

Wacom are generally the Apple of graphics tablets; there's plenty of other viable options, but because of all their patents and reputation they're generally considered the "best" and there's a lot of fanboys/girls.

In saying that though, Wacom do do a fantastic job.
I've previously owned an Intuos 4 medium which I sold to downgradt to an Intuos 5 small as it was more portable for me at the time and now I also own a Lenovo x230t Tablet PC as my portable sketchbook kinda thing and it works wonders, I did a rough review here.

Frenden also does some great reviews of alternative graphics tablets which are well worth a look.

You can usually get some decent Tablet PC's for the $300 price range (they're their own computer, you may be wanting something to hook up to your existing computer, but hey... This is still worth a mention though).

You can find a good list on tabletpcreview.com and also on conceptart.org.

Just go check out what options for tablet pc's for that price range suit your needs.

The Lenovo x2xx series (also x6x) along with the HP 23xxp series are worth mentioning.

As already mentioned, get a regular graphics tablet and see how you go.

For beginners it is undoubtedly the best-bang-for-buck deal you can find or if you really must be able to draw on the screen then I recommend waiting a little for more reviews on the Monoprice 19" Tablet Monitor as it does seems really promising (note: if you're a Windows user this cannot be used as an extended monitor, it has to be used mirrored or singular if on a multi-monitor setup) or I'd suggest the LT1423.

All the best, mate. :)

Thanks for all the help! :D

Well I mean if you have a mac and an ipad pro thats basically what its for.

Holy necro batman

What the fuck WHY WAS THIS AT THE TOP OF MY FEED

2 Likes

It got necroed by someone. their post here was removed but the thread wasn't locked.

1 Like