Cheap basic pc for basic home Photoshop use only $750/£500 budget. Help!

Cool :) it honestly sounds like he will be fine with very basic hardware, all Photoshop uses GPU for is rendering things such as lens flare of clouds/ textures and brush effects etc... TBH Photoshop is pretty poorly optimized... if it was adobe premier on the other hand I would be saying definitely get a GPU!

a3 documents at 300dpi cmyk, the base document alone (not including layers or undo's or you even touching anything...) is 66mb of ram

throw in about 30 layers and multiple undos and that soon skyrockets

also opencl acceleration is only for cs6 and above so he should take account of what version his friend has.

2 Likes

Right. I'll ask which version he's using.

I'm surprised nobody suggested the 1231v3 yet, it's essentially a 4790 without the iGPU. Should hold up very well with photo editing, video editing too if he gets into it one day. Could always throw a GPU in this and have a pretty capable gaming machine instead of his next new console upgrade...

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/YBfWpg

Includes a 120GB HyperX Fury SSD, 1TB 7200RPM HDD from WD, 16GB of CL10 1866MHz RAM, fully modular PSU and a noctua cooler too.

Cheaped out on a B85 mobo because that chip can't be overclocked and H81'd be too far really, need at least 4 SATA 3 ports for more storage if it's needed.

Note the case is a bit crap for cable management, don't bother trying to get SATA or the 24-pin cable back there. Just tie it down to the front side of the mobo tray. Shouldn't be too bad considering that PSU is fully modular. I built a little office PC in this case a couple weeks ago with the CX430 from corsair and it's not too bad. Can get some pics if you're that bothered.

Should be pretty quiet too, given it's got a noctua cooler and the case has soundproofing. The aforementioned office PC's pretty much silent in normal use, albeit with a TX3 EVO on a G3250 (reasoning for not using the stock cooler's it's in a very dusty environment - which reminds me, the case has pretty good dust filtration too, on the PSU and front intakes and it has a little cover for the top outtake if you don't use it).

The case also has a built in SD card reader which might be handy if he's using a camera that isn't still using CF cards or something like that. You can also stick all your storage drives in that build with the 5.25" bay and remove the HDD cage for better airflow.

1 Like

see this is where people start misinterpreting things.

Yes, in some situations an APU is faster than an i5.

Adobe programs are really a Frankenstein pile of shit. Some features utilize gpu acceleration, while other functions don't.

Depending on how you edit photos, gpu acceleration can be pretty much useless.

I used to do a lot of freelancing photo work. The only thing I ever could use gpu acceleration for was blur. And I blurred my photos by such a tiny amount that I never ran into any lag.

Even now with a 33MP camera I still do not run into any real issues with using cpu only on the family machine.

The ONLY time I ever ran into issues was when I was doing large (200-1000 photos) batch editing. And to be honest, what I was doing was taking a lot of photos of the night sky and compiled them into a time lapse video. So I would not even consider that photo editing.

In short, the real world usage of GPU acceleration is a very very small factor.

Thats great.

How exactly does that rig support video? If there is no igpu, and you did not include a video card...............

are you expecting him to edit a black screen or something?

Oh crap, completely forgot about that. bwahahaha

1 Like

lololol

I almost did that earlier with the 8320.

You guys are awesome. I can't believe how much time and thought you're putting into helping me. Thank you all

lol no problem. It's nice to be out of the lounge for a bit.
Never go into that topic, you'll get trapped in like Boba Fett in a sarlacc.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/98dLZL

Here's something with a cheapo dedicated GPU for a bit of a PSU sacrifice. There's been a bit of a hoohah about these corsair PSUs having issues with temperatures but honestly it's a case with good airflow, and it doesn't even have a particularly powerful dedicated GPU.
I know people with 970s and 4690ks running off one of those.

It's still a bit over budget but if you're really that pedantic about it, cut the CPU cooler and it's essentially there. Maybe a quid or two over, but then you're being really pedantic about it if that's a problem. Could earn that going busking with some maracas FCOL! lol

I've got the CX600, no problems yet. Tempting fate saying that though. The price is a guideline. If he needs to spend bit more to get the right kit he'll just have to do so.

Ye, in all honesty that 500W'll do absolutely fine. With anything above a 390 on the AMD side or a 980 on the nvidia side, if he decides to move to PC later down the line, I might recommend grabbing a better one, not necessarily of a higher wattage just a better rating.

chip doesnt have igpu, so would definately need a discrete gpu :D

...sort of missing on your build :P

Read down mate lol

i be slooooooooow

I would use this one
gpu has one dvi, one hdmi and one vga
unless for some bizarre reason your mate says he absolutely NEEDS displayport then your covered.

Good point, I've no personal experience of working with such large documents.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($172.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($42.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: PNY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($59.52 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 2GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($152.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $757.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-05 17:51 EST-0500

i like the build that @ProSonicLive made.
Photoshop is indeed mainaly cpu demending, so with a i5-6500 you are basicly fine.

Other good option might be an intel Xeon E3-1231-V3 + H97 mobo if that would fit the budget.

1 Like

Without the RAM or GPU taken into account those components over here are £450 alone. GPU'd push it higher than mine already and I think I dun wun wiv de 1231v3 ;P

1 Like