Cheap 2.5G/10G Switch

I was looking for a cheap faster than 1Gbps switch to go with my Nas upgrade and stumbled upon the following options. What are the Pros and Cons of each option?

• TPLink TL-ST1008F for $133
  • QNAP QSW-2104-2S for $125
  • QNAP QSW-2104-2T for $145
  • QNAP QSW-1105-5T for $100

I currently don’t have any hardware to go with a 2.5G/10G network outside of the onboard I225-V on my motherboard and 2 Mellanox 10G cards that are untested. Would like to hear recommendations on those as well.

ServeTheHome ( Ultimate CHEAP 2.5GbE Switch Guide - YouTube ) did a video recently where they looked at 2.5GbE switches, and talked about quite a few of the pros/cons for each. Link above is timestamped at their “Final Conclusion”. Which there’s a few models they looked at that included some 10GbE as well.

1 Like

Hello,

I have a TL-ST1008F (bought from ali.) uplinked to a Zyxel XGS1010-12 (from ama.) for the 1G & 2.5G.

Both run fine, but really nothing fancy, as they are unmanaged.

Hosts are running mlx-3, i226v, i211, realtek. Everything linux. I briefly tested bandwidth with iperf, no problem. The 10G only with DACs so far.

I chose them in part because I saw them mentionned on StH, but also because they are being worked on for (future, maybe official) openwrt support.

I ended up going for a Zyxel MG108 because it was the cheapest 8 port 2.5G RJ45 switch from a name brand locally. I wouldn’t benefit from 10G speeds so I went for 2.5G.

1 Like

Hi there, do you know if the XGS1010-12 will pass 802.1q trunked traffic to the switched ports?

Nope, I don’t know as I don’t use VLANs. But for me trunk (LACP bonding) is not the same as VLANs, what am I missing here ?