Changing To Linux (probably for ever) The Hurdles

Installed Gnome Alsa Mixer, and then this libraries (libc6:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 libxcursor1:i386 libasound2:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386 libqtgui4:i386). Now the sound is working. Probably due to the libraries. Just need to make my controller work and I'll be all set, to buy that game that made me start this.

1 Like

Strong the Force is in this one

3 Likes

Not any more. Had some issue and the PC wouldn’t start. I looked but didn’t had any Linux installation device, so I installed windows 10. It was crashing like crazy, downloaded Linux mint and installed, some of my favourites, programs weren’t compatible with it, so back to windows, now 8.1. It was still crashing to much, had a look at the PC and didn’t found out anything wrong, remembered that Linux disabled the windows microcode, used a live cd to enable it and windows got better. Now using windows again. I missed using the shortcuts at my mice extra keys, and this is keeping me in windows, for now.

1 Like

Talk to your kids about canonical, before someone else does.

1 Like

Welp… How is your linux experience?

Linux is hard to make it work right. It requires a set of skills which I haven’t mastered. The command line is a must know, not all of it but a lot. And when you “fix” something you probably broken something else. It requires time and attention. I like it, but I’ll let it mature some more before having another try.

What exactly do you here? Lol I’d doesn’t disable microcode, it’s loaded by the OS. Microcode on windows is managed by windows and loaded when it boots. Linux does the same, it’s the same microcode.

1 Like

Adding to this:

Once you get a microcode update, its not like you can roll it back either. It’s permanent.

Platform agnostic.

This doesn’t seem to be well understood. My understanding is microcode updates must be loaded every boot. If you remove the microcode package from your Linux OS you lose the microcode updates (unless your loading them via the bios)

http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/non-free/i/intel-microcode/unstable_README.Debian

Oh yeah you can definitely revert or remove microcode. Just as you say @Eden it is rolled into the boot process (he read the procedure, set it up, and promptly forgot the details) and can be modified or removed as you like. As for Windows, I can’t say since I have been away for so long.