Changing To Linux (probably for ever) The Hurdles

That... Looks awesome

2 Likes

What I learned until now: - Linux (Ubuntu Gnome 16.04.1) is clunky. It requires time and effort to work right. It can be the best in one task, but it's not as good different tasks. The tools, programs, apps, available are custom made so probably won't be right for most. It makes using a computer a digital work out. The difference between Linux and the bigs operating systems, is like buying a meal and, having the ingredients and cook it.

Fact: Ubuntu is not representative of linux. Ubuntu is the meth addicted twink of the linux family that keeps stealing everyone else's food and pocket change.

1 Like

Hard to fault people for wanting something that "just works" (most of the time). I'm a tinkerer, and like to fiddle with things, but even that gets old. I'm drawn to OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, but I'm settled on Solus.

1 Like

It is a good gateway drug to the other distro's :) Worked for me.

2 Likes

I have to admit, it is a gateway drug. I started on Mint and after 2 month moved to Fedora.

1 Like

that's only because of marketing and propaganda. if the media associated any other distro as a household name, the entire community would be better off. for every person who uses it and then move on, 10 are turned off to the concept entirely.

2 Likes

I think that it also involves in the level of computing the user plans on doing, I have a friend who I converted to Linux Mint, a year ago and he and his girlfriend only get on the web and simple things so they are fairl comfortable with what they have. I needed more of a 'Challenge' to learn more so I changed up.

1 Like

hope it wasn't 17 catia lol

Ubuntu and ubuntu accessories break to many things by default to be recommendable, even to noobs.

1 Like

it was 17.3 Rosa.

I actually broke the hacking story a full 2 weeks before it went mainstream:

2 Likes

I found out that Ubuntu installs with a lot of outdated software, and its repositories (I'm starting to use the lingo) are also outdated. Now I'll try to update some software myself. Is there a more updated distro?

anything not based on ubuntu, essentially.

1 Like

I'll search the web.

Still using Ubuntu. I've install and been tweaking Conky.

For now the difference between Windows and Linux (Ubuntu), feels like having a house with premade furniture - Windows and having a house with custom made furniture. The premade can be tweaked but not as much as the custom, but the custom was customized to someone else, to customize it to your needs you need tools and some handyman skills, you can read the manual but it has a lot of outdated and/or conflicting stuff.

I won't recommend Linux to anyone, not even people that I know that have some skills, its to much trouble. But I'll personally use it. Due to my curiosity and few skills I can make it work and, it has grown on me.

I am a little bit the same. It more from my natural fear of being a nice guy and getting dragged into being their go to IT guy. I enjoy learning how to fix things as long as my core OS and UI dont bork me right down to a console like arch has a few times. At the moment I only have to one machine and googling on a phone is a young man's game...My old broken eyes :)

2 Likes

He switched to Lunix.
He must be a hacker or an extremist. I know because I read a story online about Lunix.
I'll be willing to bet he also switched ISP's and got a new processor from AMD

4 Likes

Gaming
A game in my (old) wishlist is on sale.
I decided to install a old game and check if it works on Ubuntu.
I downloaded a .sh file, didn't know what to do with it so I double clicked.
It opened a Gedit window, with a loading bar, and some text about how to install via terminal.
Since browsing through terminal to find a file isn't something I'm used to do, I decided to check the seller site for support. After some searching found a link to this page https://askubuntu.com/questions/138908/how-to-execute-a-script-just-by-double-clicking-like-exe-files-in-windows.
Used the "dconfg-editor goto: org ➤ gnome ➤ nautilus ➤ preferences, Click on executable-text-activation" set to Ask, I always like to know what my computer is doing, so ask is my choice.
Now when I double clicked the .sh file a window pops up and I have 4 choices - Run In Terminal - Display - Cancel - Run.
I chose run and the game installer window pops up. Installed with no issue.
When I tried to run the game by double clicking the shortcut on the desktop, an error window pops up, with the message "You need an opengl 3.2 - capable graphics card to run this game. "
I though that it might be a driver issue, I have a AMD R9 290 and don't have the AMD drivers.
Searched the web and eventually found the AMD linux support page, downloaded the "amdgpu-pro-17.10-401251.tar.xz" file, extracted it, double clicked the "amdgpu-pro-install" as instructed and chose run, nothing seemed to happen, double clicked and chose run again, nothing seemed to happen,double clicked and chose display (why I don't really know), a Gedit window opened with some text and script. Closed the window.
Lost some time (~10min) searching about this, eventually double clicked it again and chose run in terminal. This started the driver installer (it seems that some things only work in terminal).
Now that the driver is installed I will reboot my computer and hope for the best. I'll and more about this soon if I haven't broken anything, and if the game lets me.

The drivers seem to be working alright, since i now can launch the game, but it as no sound. I'll search for a solution now.

Installed some 32-bit binary libraries (libc6:i386 libasound2:i386 libasound2-data:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386) didn't solve my problem, it seems that I need to install some Alsa plugins, if I can find out how.