Changing To Linux (probably for ever) The Hurdles

https://mpv.io/manual/master/#pseudo-gui-mode

What you get when that mode enables is "drop files to play here".

Dragging from Nautilus to MPV's window does nothing.

huh. I typically watch my media using "open with" commands, and the player controls mpv passes via "pseudo gui" by default have always seemed pretty functional to me. are you looking for playlists or media managment outside of your filemanager?

never used smplayer, so I can't speak to fixing it really. there's always baka mplayer or bomi if you need a workaround.

1 Like

Maybe my installation of mpv is broken. It won't close the window now that it's open. Have to manually kill the process in terminal with top.

Things I prefer in a video player:

• Ability to play videos from URLs
  • Buttons for basic playback like play/pause, fullscreen, and mute.
  • Support for SPV in this case (which mpv has, but I'm not sure if there's more configuration beyond installing SPV as SPV's site doesn't mention it).
  • Playlist support in that I can drag/drop files to the player and build a list of things to watch. Moving files around in my file manager seems like a hacky way to handle that.

SMPlayer does all those things, but has the issue of opening mpv in a separate window which disallows me from fullscreening somehow.

Going to the file in Nautilus and opening it with mpv there works fine and shows the button Pseduo GUI that lets me pause/play/etc so that works.

So the only thing I couldn't do is the URL bit. And quitting using Gnome doesn't work so I have to manually kill the process.

Weird.

oh, well there's your problem right there. see if your distro has a packaged version of GNOME-mpv

http://gnome-mpv.github.io/

1 Like

There u go, installed that and it's working well. Thanks.

fuckin gnome, man. 9 times outta 10 it seems like some piece of gnome ends up fucking everything up every time I troubleshoot these days.

1 Like

Now I gotta figure out how to get .webms and such to play in Vivaldi since for some reason they are not.

I know Vivaldi pulls in Chromium's built-in flash plugin, but replacing the libraries for it didn't fix that. The Arch package for Vivaldi pulls in like 500 MB of Chromium source code to get like 4MB of files from it since it can't package that 4MB of files due to the licensing.

I figure my problem is that pulling the Vivaldi.rpm didn't give me those libraries for that reason, but rebuilding vivaldi is a pain for that.

[Firefox Intensifies]

1 Like

But can Firefox do:
Built-in filters for a lot of stuff

Note taking

Mouse gestures

Custom keyboard shortcuts

Tab grouping -> tiling

"but you can just get extensions for all that"

No. Built-in or nothing.

Oh, and the side panel is cool.

2 Likes
  • sepia tone
  • rocker gestures
  • focus and hover

I feel like this browser is just making shit up lol

1 Like

Some of it is old people things, some of it is developer things.

Sepia:

Hover:

Focus:

if i want developer things i use seamonkey, and I use my casual browser like a regular human, so im having a hard time relating. if it works it works, I guess (till it doesn't work with webms get shrekt)

Lol, well, the main features I actually use are:

• Tab tiling - Side by side websites without dealing with multiple windows, which wouldn't be a problem if GNOME had a tiling only version/option.
  • Notes - A note in Vivaldi also captures the URL and a screenshot of whatever you took the note of. Very useful. Why have EverNote or wtv else and a browser since most things I take notes of involve web pages anyway.
  • Side panel - This one is kinda hard to convey why it's useful. Toggling tab tiling for the same website every time you want to use it is like four actions. Putting those web pages in the side panel means they are always one click away when the browser is open, but aren't in the list of tabs. I guess you could say it keeps the tabs section cleaner.
  • Disabling images or showing only cached images - TL;DR: Metered connections. :|

I can see why you would prefer something specialized to do development work in, but if you can have everything you need in one application, why wouldn't you? I'm not saying Vivaldi would do that for you. I'm saying it does it for me, so that's why I bother with it.

this is a problem, and the only course of treatment indicated recommends that you take 5.9 gitclones of Plasma, STAT.

• kde has native tiling if u want it
  • kde has clipboard history and activity/workflow managment
  • vivaldi also works with kde just fine

Since when did Firefox become a Transformer?

1 Like

"Do one thing and do it well"

When using *nix you have to embrace what make *nix, Unix.

3 Likes

@Goalkeeper That's Vivaldi.

@tkoham But then gnome-mpv won't work.

@Adobe_Flash_Player I believe the Unix philosophy is great for a system and system features. I think it starts to be unnecessary when you start talking about things that aren't necessary but "nice to haves".

If you hold that philosophy Windows would be better for you. Linux already has too much bloat. No reason to encourage it.

2 Likes

but thats the beauty of it. if you aren't on gnome/gtk, you don't need gnome-mpv

2 Likes

...?

I had assumed you were talking about how I want my browser to also be my note taking application.

How does that related to linux becoming bloated?